Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
top end or complete rebuild, Analise oil? >

top end or complete rebuild, Analise oil?

Notices

top end or complete rebuild, Analise oil?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Be very careful about who you send your stuff to be rebuilt.Auto hot rod shops are not the best place to take your engine. There are many good marine rebuilders who can do the job even if you have to ship away. get good references
There has been many discussions about whether to rebuild or buy a new engine or short block .rebuilding is cheaper but if not done properly will be short lived and may cost you again.That is up to you to decide..... Good luck

Jim

Last edited by cigboat1; 11-21-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmfriday
thank for the info. i requested a sample kit from blackstone about a week ago, so as soon as it comes in i will be sending it off to be looked at.
i guess i am going to have the whole engine refreshed. Any idea of what i am looking at cost wise? ballpark of course. anyone know anyone around pittsburgh that can do a marine rebuild?
thanks again
If your doing everything your looking at around 10-12k depending on if you upgrade anything at the time to gain more HP. I'd make sure it needs rebuilt. 350hrs for lower end seems awful low.

I also agree make sure you know who your sending your motor to be rebuilt. I'd recommend Mark Boos@ Precision Marine or Youngs Performance in TN and there's Crockett Marine in Ruby,MI.

Last edited by Irishtornado; 11-21-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your oil analysis looks good you could just do the crank bearings, rings and a valve job. Yes you can install new crank bearings (rod and mains) without pulling the crank. Just match each shell (std, -.001, etc) exactly as you take them out. You can do rings without pulling the crank. Total cost if you did it yourself would be around $1,000 plus a valve job. That would be with cometic head gaskets and top of the line coated bearings. You could go cheaper, but you shouldn't. If you have the same work done by others, 2x the cost.

BT
Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

i am hoping to just do the crank bearing, rings, and the top end. Anyone know the part number for the isky springs i will need for a 500efi? i have done some reading and it seems that there are two different part numbers for the springs that people are using.
thanks for the help
Old 11-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

id verify oil pressue with a mech guage before I did anything with the bottom end
Old 11-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Registered

Call EDDIE at YOUNG PERFORMANCE MARINE.(16152167449)He will give you some good advice,and try to send you in the rite direction with your rebuild(he is also very fair priced).I had him build me a set of engines last year,and i could not be happier with them,and his service.

LOUIE.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Registered

Wink

what state are you in once we know we can give you builders that may be in your area. costs to have a marine motor like yours done keeping it at 500 to 650hp would be 3500 to 6500 from the different guys I have used blower motors are more. art make sure you have the block tanked to get all the oil and water passages cleaned .if you want pm me your area I know a few builders around the country. art
Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If you are in the Pittsburg area I would suggest: Gellner Engineering Co.
2827 Brookpark Rd.
Cleveland Ohio
Ph. 216-398-8500

Call and talk to Dean ;also look on Face Book!A+++++++rating
That way you can drop the motor off at his place ---- Only a short hop down the turnpike for you..

Jim