Bravo X1 Drive Erratic Trim Operation

Notices

Bravo X1 Drive Erratic Trim Operation

Old 11-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lookinforboats
well the end caps have rubber seals but on the outside closest to the water is a steel ring that protects the rubber o-rings. the end caps are aluminum so the constant water/air exposure and dissimilar metals causes corrosion and this white crud to form which sometimes makes it hard for the piston to move. just a thought. good luck
This sounds like good advise. Bill, Lets us know what you find out.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the thoughtfull brainstorming and suggestions.

Yesterday's testing with both cylinders disconnected from the drive and therefore operating at no load with the drive (and sensors) at the full down position and now static would seem to take the electrics mostly out of it. Also the pump would still randomly labor at different levels indicating load/strain on the fluid pump as the cylinders were trimmed out or in. The cylinders took turns sticking, shuddering or conversly running smoothly. Sometimes both cylinders would just stop as the pump would stall completely. Sometimes on these occasions if I would release the trim button and immediately reapply everything started again to work correct....only briefly. The sounds the trim motor made during this testing versus the movement, or lack there of, was like the fluid resistance was overloading the pump motor as apposed to intermitant electrical connection problems.

I would like to hear about the potential hydraulic reasons and or fixes for my trim issue that you may be aware of. I have so far heard that dirty fluid could be the cause and a simple fluid change may fix the problem. Also suggested was that the trim cylinder piston seal (seals?) seperating the up pressure side from the down pressure side of the cylinder could be bad/leaking. Corrosion build up between the of the aluminum trim cylinder body and stainless steel ram shaft (I checked mine and clear). Your thoughts experience versus these or other causes?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

After your done prop testing for the year I would pull one ram completely from the boat and disconnect the hydraulic lines. Then manually cycle the ram, feeling for resistence inside the ram. If something sticks, pull the endcap and remove the guts for inspection. They come apart really easy. After the anodes are removed you will need an adjustable spanner wrench with two .250 dia dowel pins.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by DesertRage
After your done prop testing for the year I would pull one ram completely from the boat and disconnect the hydraulic lines. Then manually cycle the ram, feeling for resistence inside the ram. If something sticks, pull the endcap and remove the guts for inspection. They come apart really easy. After the anodes are removed you will need an adjustable spanner wrench with two .250 dia dowel pins.
Good idea. I will do that when I go to remove the trim cylinders and pump this weekend to take back home for inspection and repair this winter
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Registered
Gold Member

just a side note - the corrosion on the end caps CANT be seen from the outside. They have to be removed to check/repair. JD
Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Rage- Just a thought, have you cleaned all conections and changed the fuses? You may have a voltage drop issue due to a bad connection. Try operating with a volt meter on the pump and see what you have when it stalls and studders.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 4bus
Rage- Just a thought, have you cleaned all conections and changed the fuses? You may have a voltage drop issue due to a bad connection. Try operating with a volt meter on the pump and see what you have when it stalls and studders.
Good idea.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I disassembled everything on the power trim hydraulics (only). There was about an 1/8" layer of tiny black dust like particles in the reservoir. Then I found larger ~1/16" particles in various places in the trim pump manifold passages where there should not have been anything but fluid. When I evacuated fluid from the cylinders those same larger black particles came out. There is a black 1/2" thick crescent shaped plastic spacer that snaps on to the trim cylinder ram shaft. Well one cylinder had one and the other one did not except for that portion that was crammed into the three pressure relief check valves in the piston. Apparently the one plastic spacer completely disintegrated and contaminated everything with its residue. The seals all look excellent. The pump's two fluid hose connection fittings have a fine mesh screen welded/brazed to the fitting. The one fitting's screen was still good but the other screen had apparently been blown off by the fluid pressure against the screen when it was plugged with the plastic residue. That screen was still attached on one corner. That is how the residue got into the trim pump manifold.