Bravo X1 Drive Erratic Trim Operation

Notices

Bravo X1 Drive Erratic Trim Operation

Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo X1 Drive Erratic Trim Operation

My 2004 Bravo X1 Drive when trimming up or down shudders, has slip stick type of movement. It did not used to do this. It has about 380 hours on it. The fluid reservoir is full and the drive shaft spline is fully lubbed. The merc tech line says to do a pressure test on the pump system.

I am interested in hearing if anyone has experienced this symptom and what was the cause/fix.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Pull the rams off of the drive and work them in and out and see if they extend/retract smoothly with no load.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

check the coupler alignment with an alignment tool make sure the motor mounts are tight and true'

did this just start out of no ware or was there some servic done ?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by lightning jet
check the coupler alignment with an alignment tool make sure the motor mounts are tight and true'

did this just start out of no ware or was there some servic done ?
I had pulled the drive and engine 162 hours ago and reassembled with an alignment tool then. I will check the motor mounts as you suggest.

Yes out of no where but it has been doing it for a little while now. I was not sure if it was normal or not but finally decided to take action. No service has been done on the trim since the boat was new.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Pull the rams off of the drive and work them in and out and see if they extend/retract smoothly with no load.
I will do that.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Rage- I had that problem on my port drive once. I was advised to drain the oil, refill and purge. I did them both and it solved the problem, boar was only 6 years old.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The electrical connections were all good. I disconnected the cylinders from the drive so no load. The pump would randomly labor at different levels of strain as the cylinders were trimmed out or in. The cylinders took turns sticking, shuddering or conversly running smoothly. Sometimes the cylinders would just stop and the pump would stall completely. Sometimes if I would release the trim button and immediately reapply everything started again to work correct....only briefly.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Registered
Gold Member

is the boat stored on a lift?? weve seen trim ram wiper seals corrode and pistons would stick. believe it or not, less problems when the drive is in salt water continuously rather than water then air so forth
Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by lookinforboats
is the boat stored on a lift?? weve seen trim ram wiper seals corrode and pistons would stick. believe it or not, less problems when the drive is in salt water continuously rather than water then air so forth
Yes on a lift since 2005. What do you mean the wiper seals corrode? They are rubber or plastic right? Please elaborate.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Registered
Gold Member

well the end caps have rubber seals but on the outside closest to the water is a steel ring that protects the rubber o-rings. the end caps are aluminum so the constant water/air exposure and dissimilar metals causes corrosion and this white crud to form which sometimes makes it hard for the piston to move. just a thought. good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.