525 headers and exhaust >

525 headers and exhaust

Notices

525 headers and exhaust

Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 headers and exhaust

I have RECENTLY ACQUIRED a pair of 525's for my 97 lightning 35. Purchased without headers. I now need to find the best solution for the exhaust. After reading feedback on leakage problems with CMI/Mercury headers, I am still confused with the best option for these engines. Cost is a factor, but not the only factor. Is there other manufaturers with a good quality product? Is the CMI issue due to salt water or other factors?I am in fresh water area and will most likely only run in fresh water. Does anyone have any input to the best headers to use without problems??
Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check out cmi,s new gen x for the 525,,,that,s suppose to be the replacement for mercs mistake,,,i guess ill be buying some in the near future
Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

The 525 headers that came stock with the Merc Engines are the problem headers, if you bought a set from CMI they are built to a higher standard....from what I hear.

I have heard of problems with other headers as well, so I don't know that you are truely "Safe" with any. Finding a set of used headers for a bravo boat usually leaves you will little to choose from, CMI's are the most popular for a bravo set up.

I think you should take a look at Stainless Marine, I have had good luck. They are light, and slim compared to others. Many claim minimal difference on a dyno with 400-600HP engines. The thicker cast construction is more durable.

Still.....a boat with real headers just sounds soooo cool, there is a guy on our lake with a 454MPI with CMI's, sounds just so awesome, has that rasp sound that headers make....just not very fast
Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randman97
I have RECENTLY ACQUIRED a pair of 525's for my 97 lightning 35. Purchased without headers. I now need to find the best solution for the exhaust. After reading feedback on leakage problems with CMI/Mercury headers, I am still confused with the best option for these engines. Cost is a factor, but not the only factor. Is there other manufaturers with a good quality product? Is the CMI issue due to salt water or other factors?I am in fresh water area and will most likely only run in fresh water. Does anyone have any input to the best headers to use without problems??

I bought the CMI Gen-Xs and am very pleased. Teague had the best pricing that I found at the time.