Whipple or Procharge >

Whipple or Procharge

Notices

Whipple or Procharge

Old 12-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whipple or Procharge

I have a 2005 Mercruiser 496 Ho in my boat and am wondering if it would be worth putting a super carger kit on it to give it that bit extra mumbo. Have been looking at the Whipple kit and the Procharger kit but not sure which kit would provide best value for money. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had both, go with the whipple.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Whipple.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boat15
I have a 2005 Mercruiser 496 Ho in my boat and am wondering if it would be worth putting a super carger kit on it to give it that bit extra mumbo. Have been looking at the Whipple kit and the Procharger kit but not sure which kit would provide best value for money. Any advice would be appreciated.
If you're gonna go forced induction you better upgrade to forged pistons before you worry bout the blower....

The hypereutectic pistons are not blower or supercharger friendly.

But it will run for a while if you don't.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We've done quite a few installs. On a 496 we won't install a supercharger without replacing the pistons. It's not a question of "if", but "when" a piston will fail. You can get stock replacement forged pistons so it's not that much more money to go ahead and do it right the first time. As far as which package is better???? Whipple, hands down. They add a 2 bar map sensor, new fuel system and reprogram the PCM. It's a complete package that works correctly every time.

Bob
Full Throttle Marine

Last edited by bobl; 12-01-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before going too far into looking, first be sure your engine is in very good shape first.. Most are, but if you have an engine that is getting close to rebuild time for any reason, be it Hours or other. This may not be the way to go.

If that is all good then..... In a nut shell:

The Procharger kits are less costly initially on that setup. But the later models are not supported by them (which probably includes your model). They earlier fuel systems they were able to get worked thru (the ones that had the spin on fuel filter). However the later model units with the integrated fuel cool system which yours likely has are not supported or offered by Procharger..

In either case it is my opinion that the way to go on that platform is Whipple anyway. The reason is, the kit will work on both the earlier & later verions of the non DTS & non catalyst equipped 496's.

I have done my fair share of both compaines sales & installs and I continue to do so. But the Whipple is a more precise and robust kit. Especially on this application where it is crucial.

The 496 can live with boost if it is done right (even with stock internals).. However again the key is being precise and not looking to run very high boost levels. With the Whipple 5-6psi is the norm, with procharger the recommended set up is about 3psi due to tuning and fuel system set up. With enhanced tuning and a better fuel system the procharger can run 5-6 psi as well, but by the time you spend the time and $$$ to get there on the earlier models you end up rivaling the Whipple $$ anyway..

Hope this helps, If you would like a price on either set up feel free to give me a shout.. Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628
Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Whipple all the way.
I would'nt put a procharger on my lawnmower let alone something I like to run
Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

First of all, I WILL NOT install either kit on a 496 without internal mods (pistons, etc).
I have installed a ton of both Prochargers and Whipples. The Whipple setup is a much nicer kit and makes for a much cleaner install, but you pay for it. It is more than a few dollars more than the Procharger. However, you are definitely getting something for your money.
If you go with the Procharger, throw the instructions away. They may know their way around a drag race engine, but they are really not up to speed on marine installs. Plan on doing fuel system mods with the Procharger, items that do not need to be done with the Whipple. The Procharger install will cost more than the Whipple because of the extra work. Unless you are very mechanically inclined, do not attempt it yourself.
Also, you need to make sure the boat's fuel system is sufficient. You need to have a large enough pickup, hoses and filter head to support the additional fuel requirements. This will not be in the Procharger instructions and is the major cause of engine failures after a Procharger install.
Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions or if I can help in any way. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 12-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

if you want to brake your drives then go whipple, if you want them to last a whyle then go procharger..if you want to blow your engine up put 5 lbs of boost to it and it wont take long
Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like Procharger, run over 11lbs boost, over 1100 hp on pump gas.
Ran Procharger in my Baja for over 4 years no problem, Now running a pair of Prochargered 572's in my Awesomecat.

Smitty (Articfriends) also is a big Procharger fan... He's EFI, I'm carb.

enclosed a pic of my setup ... I'm a CNC shop so I built my own brackets and intercooler. btw Procharger brackets are wimpy...
Attached Thumbnails Whipple or Procharge-dsc01821.jpg   Whipple or Procharge-dsc01837.jpg   Whipple or Procharge-dsc01839.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.