Question about Holley rebuild kits

Notices

Question about Holley rebuild kits

Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Question about Holley rebuild kits

Hello,

Rookie question here- I'm looking for a carb rebuild kit for the Holley 9022 that was used on the Merc 465/502's.

Does anyone know what the difference between the "regular" rebuild kit and Holley's marine rebuild kit? The parts guy I spoke with said the marine kit has the green accelerator pump diaphragms that are designed for use with fuels that contain alcohol, couldn't give me any other details.

Is there anything special in the marine kit that is needed or can I use the standard rebuild kit? (one kit is in stock, other has to be ordered)

Renew kits I was looking at-
standard- Holley 03-1184, AED 4150
marine- Holley 03-485

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Last edited by Powerquest230; 12-01-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't think there is any difference between the (regular) and
the marine kit wise, most reg kits come w/the "green" pumps
now anyways
Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I've seen kits to change a few things and set the carbs up for ethanol use. Might be worth looking into if your going to rebuild it anyways.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should be within $20 of each other, buy the marine kit. Everyone I know that's tried to use a non-marine something in a marine application (unless it was a Mercruiser brand something and GM, Felpro, or otherwise made the EXACT SAME PART), only to save 10-20% on the cost of the item, ended up regretting it. If you buy the marine kit you know that you should be good for a number of years with the carb. If you buy something automotive and try to use it in the marine app. who knows how long it will be good for, who knows where it will leave you stranded, and who knows what else it will effect???

Just my $0.02
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Price of the kits wasn't an issue ($15) it was availability. I used AED's 4150 kit and the only pieces that needed to be changed were the power valve, and the accelerator pump diaphragms. Kit comes with 6.5 power valves(needed a 4.5) and 30 & 50 cc pumps (need 2 50's).

Thanks for the help,
Rick