Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How much is my Whipple 496 ho worth?? >

How much is my Whipple 496 ho worth??

Notices

How much is my Whipple 496 ho worth??

Old 12-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is my Whipple 496 ho worth??

I have a Whipple 496 with 100 hours on it and looking to go another direction. Im not sure if it would be better to build the bottom end with raylar parts or sell the motor complete with out exhaust.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Let's do the math?

You should probably qualify whether you are going back in your boat with the newly reworked engine and what type of power and budget you have earmarked for the upgrade as well as which Whipple supercharger (size) you have and what type of
performance you want from the boat. I can tell you a stronger bottom end alone won't add a ton of power since the stock iron heads and exhaust system can limit ultimate power levels. A stock iron head , stock exhaust 496 with a 2.3 (small) Whipple supercharger with even 6-8 lbs of boost will top out at about 675HP crankshaft at best. If this is enough then you've got an easier answer.
If you want and need 700HP plus 2.3L Whippled 496 you ain't gonna get there with your supercharger and parts. Absolutely nothing wrong with the supercharger, its just not large enough capacity wise at reliable supercharger shaft rpms and heat production to get you there.
Just my experience and opinions.

If you go into the market and buy or build a new quality 650-800HP efi freshwater cooled engine your gonna most likely have to earmark a minimum of $30-45K when its completely equipped and accessorized.
You can,maybe in this market , get $12K for your good used Whippled stock engine 496.
Another thought and option:
Sell your 2.3L -496 whipple kit for $3-4K, Buy your self a new 3.3L Whipple supercharger kit for your 496 and have a strong bottom and top end Raylar equipped, cammed and programmed 496 that will make a nice even 800 reliable horsepower with good exhaust and if your drive is capable of that power you will have a pretty good performing Nordic Heat. This should cost around $22-23K including the new supercharger kit and minus the $3-4k for the old supercharger kit sale you should end up spending about $19-20K for the whole new strong 800HP Whippled 496. That's not a bad deal and most likely better than you will be able to do selling your stock Whippled use 496 and replacing it with a new reliable 800 efi. engine.

If you don't now have the budget or think you can effectively do this type of power for substantially less, then stop now and don't frustrate and abuse your self anymore at this time.
Hope this helps with your analysis and plans.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like always thanks Ray. A few more snow plowing jobs this winter and I'll be calling and getting the bottom end parts shiped. Thanks for putting up with me!