Bottom Paint Removal >

Bottom Paint Removal

Notices

Bottom Paint Removal

Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a qoute to soda blast my 29' cruiser last fall for over $2K. BTW, what type of bottom paint are you talking-- antifouling?

The instructions on the can of my epoxy barrier paint required the gel to be scuffed before application, then followed by the antifouling itself within an hr or so of the last coat of barrier paint. I never seen any brands of bottom paint say to just degrease/dewax, tape and paint. Not saying there aren't any that you can just paint on. Don't see how it would stick though??

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-07-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A good bottom paint application consisits of sanding the bottom so the paint can adhere to the bottom properly. you could try a little spot to se how it cleans off and to see if its sanded or not underneath. If its not sanded then you may want to try to strip it with chemicals to give you the gel bottom back. if its sanded then soda blast it and have the bottom painted and it will look like new. Soda blast will give a good base to start a paint job.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Buy some captain lee's spra-strip remover and it will come right off without hurting the gelcoat. I'm doing it now on a small boston whaler. Works great, just takes a while. You can buy it from www.auto-ease.com