Need and Engine Expert

Notices

Need and Engine Expert

Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need and Engine Expert

I have two questions:
1.) How many water drain plugs are on a 454 Bowtie block casting #10051107? I can only see one on the starter side but want to be sure for winterizing
2.) Approx how much antifreeze does the block itself hold if pouring in from the intake manifold?

I would appreciate your help

Last edited by superboat1982; 12-10-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 12-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superboat1982
I have two questions:
1.) How many water drain plugs are on a 454 Bowtie block casting #10051107? I can only see one on the starter side but want to be sure for winterizing
2.) Approx how much antifreeze does the block itself hold if pouring in from the intake manifold?

I would appreciate your help
there should be one on each side of the bottom of the block and 2 on each manifold . I always drain my block and then run the engine to circulate the antifreeze through everything I run 6 gallons through my smallblocks it's cheap enough I don't mind wasting a little
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't really just drain and pour in anti freeze. What kind of drives are you running? I would recommend pulling the thermo stats and running the boat on a hose that is drawing from a bucket full of antifreeze. It will probably take 4.5 gallons, but buy the extra gallon - cheap insurance.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
You can't really just drain and pour in anti freeze. What kind of drives are you running? I would recommend pulling the thermo stats and running the boat on a hose that is drawing from a bucket full of antifreeze. It will probably take 4.5 gallons, but buy the extra gallon - cheap insurance.
So if I pull the block drains,drain out all the water,I pour in antifreeze in through the big hose in the circ pump until I start to see if run out of the block drains,install the block drains and keep adding until it overflows out of the thermostat housing,this does not take care of the block for the winter?
Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Registered

Or just hook up antifreeze up to the water intake, run the boat till you get antifreeze out the exhaust and you are done..no need to drain anything...fog thru carb with ATF after you get anti thru...Rob
Old 12-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
Or just hook up antifreeze up to the water intake, run the boat till you get antifreeze out the exhaust and you are done..no need to drain anything...fog thru carb with ATF after you get anti thru...Rob
That will work fine if you have a closed cooling system. If you have a fresh water cooling system Antifreeze will come out the exhaust as soon as you start the boat. The thermostat needs to be open to get the fresh water out of the block.
Depending on where you boat, its a good idea to drain the block to get sand/dirt out of the block. Buy a gallon of antifreeze mix it 50/50 and pour it down the intake manifold.

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 12-11-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelling....
Old 12-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, this has been covered so many times. This is how I do it.
Flush the engine with fresh water and warm up the engine. Drain the water.
Get a hose and suck the RV antifreize out of a bucket into the engine until it comes out of the tips.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Ok, this has been covered so many times. This is how I do it.
Flush the engine with fresh water and warm up the engine. Drain the water.
Get a hose and suck the RV antifreize out of a bucket into the engine until it comes out of the tips.
I pretty much do the same thing, but I can't stand guessing about the thermostat, so I just pull the thing. It only takes me 5 minutes to get them out, so it's not really that big of a deal, and it's less run time on the hose.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Flyin-Bryan
So if I pull the block drains,drain out all the water,I pour in antifreeze in through the big hose in the circ pump until I start to see if run out of the block drains,install the block drains and keep adding until it overflows out of the thermostat housing,this does not take care of the block for the winter?

You can do it this way, but IMO you're not covering everything properly. I prefer running antifreeze through the drives, seawater pump, etc., you can rely on gravity to get it out if you'd like, but I prefer forcing antifreeze through everything.

Plus, it's more difficult to pump the antifreeze through the circ pump than it is to muff the drives with ears, or rig something so the seawater pump sucks the antifreeze for you.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
You can do it this way, but IMO you're not covering everything properly. I prefer running antifreeze through the drives, seawater pump, etc., you can rely on gravity to get it out if you'd like, but I prefer forcing antifreeze through everything.

Plus, it's more difficult to pump the antifreeze through the circ pump than it is to muff the drives with ears, or rig something so the seawater pump sucks the antifreeze for you.
Thanks for your response,but my question was for the engine only,would this be o.k. ?anyone else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.