Performance Distributors >

Performance Distributors

Notices

Performance Distributors

Old 12-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Distributors

Anyone using the Marine DUI distributors from Performance Distributors ? Any feedback on these, good or bad ?
Thanks, BC
Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I run one, i like it much better than the msd stuff. Super reliable, and still puts out high volt spark like the msd, plus you dont have tall the wires and box like the msd. Oh and if you ever do have a problem, all parts can be bought at local napa to get you through weekend, granted you wont have the high volt coil, or custom modual but your'll still be out in the water if there is ever a problem.

The LIVE wires they make are a must have too, big and durable.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, and good....
Old 12-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When running these do you still run the Merc TB Boxes? Do you have to run the Merc TB Boxes? And do you buy a marine cap, or just run the stock auto cap?

I had a lot of success and stress free boating with the Mallory Unilite series distributors, but I have yet to trya DUI or HEI.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to get the Marine version, it has a screw down cap. It also has its own in cap modual so the TB is not needed.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone wants to boost up ther voltage I have a new mini vip #5577 And a new dui rev limiter #380777 both from performance distributor these are still in the boxes.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered

I run std perf HEI's with vac advance eliminated..love them, cheap, reliable, can't beat them..
Old 12-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, they look and seem to be real nice units. My old Merc stuff needs updated, looks like the way to go.
So, all I do is remove all the TB stuff and replace with the new, correct ? Thanks, BC
Old 12-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
You need to get the Marine version, it has a screw down cap. It also has its own in cap modual so the TB is not needed.
I thought so (on both accounts)... Using the Mallory units I always got rid of the TB stuff as well. I haven't tried the HEI style yet. Has anyone else tried both (the Unilite and the HEI)? I've had a ton of luck with the Mallory style (5 years of trouble free boating, great spark, fast start, etc. Couldn't ask for anything more, really). I wouldn't mind trying the HEI style though.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cold,
Unless you are running consistantly above 6000-6200 RPM our experience would suggest keep the ignition you have. MSD is unreliable at best and it has limited options for a user friendly timing advance curve. We raced with stock Mercury Thunderbolt IV boxes and distributors for 10+ years and it was still performing flawlessly when we switched. The only reason we switched as our RPM curve was moved to 6800 RPM. Some suggested the TB IV wouldn't preform well at this RPM range.
We first went to the MSD Marine Ignition and finally switched again to the Crane Marine ignition (much more user friendly). IMO, there are plently of other engine upgrade options that will bring you more value.
Ben