330hp 454 Exhaust Barr/GLM vs Mercruiser >

330hp 454 Exhaust Barr/GLM vs Mercruiser

Notices

330hp 454 Exhaust Barr/GLM vs Mercruiser

Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330hp 454 Exhaust Barr/GLM vs Mercruiser

Just looking for peoples opinions on exhaust kits (manifolds and risers) and difference between the brands. I just picked up a 89 IMP 310 Eleganza that seems to have sucked water in the port side motor through a bad set of risers. It has mercruiser manifolds and risers now and the receipts show they are 4 years old and have minimal hours. (I bought the boat off the original owner with 246hrs on it.)
I'm looking to replace the manifolds and risers on both engines, figuring if 1 set let go its only a matter of time til the other goes, the boat was in salt water and I will keep using it in salt water.
My old boat has a set of Barr manifolds and risers on it that I've run for 2 seasons, and they previous owner replaced them 2 seasons before me. I haven't had any issues with leaks or anything else with them.
The mercruiser set will put me back about 650 more a side than the Barr or GLM so I was just trying to get input on maybe doing OEM mercruiser sets and keeping them in longer, or an aftermarket set and plan on replacing them every 4-5 seasons.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 AM
jjj
Registered

I just ordered a set of merc oem manifolds from boatfix (good prices)for my 2000 454. They will replace my original 10 y/o manifolds that I believe are ceramic coated as are the new merc ones I just ordered. My boat is also salt water used but rack stored and flushed at the end of most weekends.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy stock mercruiser equipment, the casting and material are alot better than other OEM equipment.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered

I have some S.S. mercury risers. They have a stock look to them, And came on my boat they are like brand new and they are Stainless Steel. Let me know if you would be interested in them.
Attached Thumbnails 330hp 454 Exhaust Barr/GLM vs Mercruiser-img_2326.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

if it was me i would look for something aftermarket and totally eliminate that wet joint and never look back, just my .02
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Registered

Dry exhaust is something I was looking at. I haven't looked at exhaust set ups much mainly because the boat I had before never had a manifold/riser issue. I stopped by the marine shop I go to asking about the price of a new dry set up vs. wet, and ended up talking to my buddy about pair of 496 Mag EFI motors that are FWC he had in the corner of the shop that he pulled from his boat when he replaced them with 525sc engines.
I was looking to replace 1 motor in my boat, and obviously looking to replace both motors' exhaust systems and was putting myself in the 5k range with that. For 5500 I can get 2 motors that are drop in ready with 300 hours on them. Then I can sell the other good running 454 thats in the boat and have newer motors that are fresh water cooled, fuel injected and only be a couple grand in the hole more than I planned. I appreciate the input and look forward to upgrading the boat whether its new 496's or just a simple exhaust set up.