454 Gen VI, (L-29) EFI Build

Notices

454 Gen VI, (L-29) EFI Build

Old 01-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 Gen VI, (L-29) EFI Build

Hi everyone, first post ever here.
I am building a 1999 454 EFI (L-29) MerCruiser engine for my 22' Pachanga, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
First of all I am using the original L-29 heads which I understand are very limited performance wise. However I am matching the intake ports, cleaning up the pockets and the casting on the exhaust. Also plan to mill the heads .030 to help out a little with compression.
The shortblock is basically rebuilt stock with Melling 777 pump.
The exhaust is Eddie Marine Thunder w silent choice pipes.
The camshaft is a 731 Crane hyd roller, 226/236, 587/610
I plan to have the ecm reprogramed, install an adjustable fuel regulator, and run K&N flame arrestor.
My questions are, what kind of numbers can I expect with my setup?
I still need hyd lifters, springs, retainers, pushrods etc., since Crane is out of business can anyone recomend the best parts or a kit that will work well with my cam?
Can anyone recomend the best place to send my ECM to be reprogrammed?
Is there anything lacking in my setup that I should consider that would help in performance or reliability.
Thanks in advance to anyone with their input!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boatsnstuff2
Hi everyone, first post ever here.
I am building a 1999 454 EFI (L-29) MerCruiser engine for my 22' Pachanga, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
First of all I am using the original L-29 heads which I understand are very limited performance wise. However I am matching the intake ports, cleaning up the pockets and the casting on the exhaust. Also plan to mill the heads .030 to help out a little with compression.
The shortblock is basically rebuilt stock with Melling 777 pump.
The exhaust is Eddie Marine Thunder w silent choice pipes.
The camshaft is a 731 Crane hyd roller, 226/236, 587/610
I plan to have the ecm reprogramed, install an adjustable fuel regulator, and run K&N flame arrestor.
My questions are, what kind of numbers can I expect with my setup?
I still need hyd lifters, springs, retainers, pushrods etc., since Crane is out of business can anyone recomend the best parts or a kit that will work well with my cam?
Can anyone recomend the best place to send my ECM to be reprogrammed?
Is there anything lacking in my setup that I should consider that would help in performance or reliability.
Thanks in advance to anyone with their input!
Those are large ovals, for what you are doing the heads will work. I use the moral lifter and isky springs. Your weak link will be the intake. Should see about 450HP give or take.
Be sure to upgrade the oil cooler and lines, keep in mind you have cast internals so that limits what you can do.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There may be a reversion issue there? When I asked about that cam w/ my 496 manifolds & captains call I was advised against it. Your Eddie Marines & silent choice may be OK but you should double check.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Those are large ovals, for what you are doing the heads will work. I use the moral lifter and isky springs. Your weak link will be the intake. Should see about 450HP give or take.
Be sure to upgrade the oil cooler and lines, keep in mind you have cast internals so that limits what you can do.
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I see where Morel is the supplier to many cam grinders.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Itsallgood995
There may be a reversion issue there? When I asked about that cam w/ my 496 manifolds & captains call I was advised against it. Your Eddie Marines & silent choice may be OK but you should double check.
Man I hope not, I can't think of anything much worse than that. Anyone else have an opinion on that?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Registered

What is the lobe separation angle of the camshaft. If you can post the cam timing at .006 lift from the cam card.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boat1
What is the lobe separation angle of the camshaft. If you can post the cam timing at .006 lift from the cam card.
Crane advertises the LSA @ 112
Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Registered

Do you already have the cam? You could sell your silent choice setup and get long risers for your manifolds.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Do you already have the cam? You could sell your silent choice setup and get long risers for your manifolds.
Yes I already have the cam and I really wanted silent choice as I have a killer stereo in the boat. Do you think that reversion might be a problem also?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Registered

Maybe, I am not a expert just somone that has had a lot of trial and error. LOL I had reversion on a setup several years ago. I had a flat tappet cam with similar duration specs and stock exhaust/silent choice. The engine had moisture under the valve covers, behind the timing chain and ruined the oil. Before I knew it I had damaged the mains and broke the crank shaft. Mine is loud all the time, just turn up the stereo. You could get mufflers on the tips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.