qustion on latham/hydro steering wingplate >

qustion on latham/hydro steering wingplate

Notices

qustion on latham/hydro steering wingplate

Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default qustion on latham/hydro steering wingplate

i just got a latham steering ram and plan to do a single ram full hydraulic steering setup on my 89 baja sport 250. i found a wingplate that is the cap style so you replace the end cap of the drive. i was told that these may not be ideal because they can deform with stress and let water in. is this true or is it over thinking it? i could see it if it was with some crazy power maybe? i have around 450hp and have plans for around 650ish in the future but thats not gonna happen for awhile. also interested in a latham wingplate and hull mount if someone has one for sale
Old 01-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Latham Wingplate, with the pin for the ram for sale if you are interested. No Hull mount tho.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it hard to believe that the Lathem end cap can deform. That's a good hunk of metal. I'd be more tend to believe the threads in the alum. housing would fail or the 3 mounting bolts stretch to allow water to leak in. Had this on both my current and previous boat with no signs of failure. Fountain does replace the Merc bolts with studs though. Not sure if that adds any beef to it or not.
I think there are designs that require for 2 more holes to be drilled into the housing for a better mount.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Registered

i have a hard time also... i have looked all over and read nothing saying that anyone has had issues. i understand its possible but doesnt seem likely to me
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Registered

only thing i can seem to find that says i should not use the cap vs. the wing plate is that it would void warantee, my boats only warantee is my pocketbook lol, so i see no worries on that. anyone else heard about issues witht the cap style? personally i think it looks like it will make for a cleaner install and i can keep my existing drive shower
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All my years of racing and hi-performance I have never heard or seen a rear cap like that distort or twist with stress. I have seen some pretty violent accidents with that equipment on it and its perfect! If you still need some input post some pictures so we can see exactly what you are working with.

Good luck!
John