Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Whats the reason for a remote oil filter??? >

Whats the reason for a remote oil filter???

Notices

Whats the reason for a remote oil filter???

Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by 302Sport
So if i mounted it in the stock location, and ran a sandwich adapter, what would I do with the bypass???? This is a GEN 6 block so ive heard its a little different??????
gen v and vI blocks have external oil cooler capabilities,in the marine application they either use to out for a oil pressure sensor or they put plugs in them..look rite above the filter on the side of the block..if you remove the plugs you can plumb your cooler lines into them..you will still need a double male fitting for the block to screw the filter on..the bypass in in the block there the filter will screw on to..
Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 282 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
gen v and vI blocks have external oil cooler capabilities,in the marine application they either use to out for a oil pressure sensor or they put plugs in them..look rite above the filter on the side of the block..if you remove the plugs you can plumb your cooler lines into them..you will still need a double male fitting for the block to screw the filter on..the bypass in in the block there the filter will screw on to..
just looked and my oil pressure sender is in the hole right above the filter mount, but that is the only hole there. that is obvisouly the out. right in front of the oil filter boss there are two holes with plugs in them right on a lip near the oil pan. can you clarify that last part???? thanks for the info...

Last edited by 302Sport; 01-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

howd u plumb in thee cooler when running it right off the block???
I actually got lucky and the block had outputs on it...i guess it was a gen V or VI??? Not sure....but oil filter went on just like any normal car/truck. Then i just got some brass fittings to hook up the cooling lines straight to the block.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

just looked and my oil pressure sender is in the hole right above the filter mount, but that is the only hole there. that is obvisouly the out. right in front of the oil filter boss there are two holes with plugs in them right on a lip near the oil pan. can you clarify that last part???? thanks for the info...
yes those would be where the factory oil cooler lines would go to if it were in a truck,now you will have to figure which way to route them..i believe the rear one is to OUT line..

Rite now you should have a adaptor where the oil filter was..there is a big bolt with o'rings holding it on.. if you remove that big bolt the adaptor will come off with the oil cooler/filter lines..you will need to get a new fitting for the block to (double male ) fitting so you can screw the oil filter to the block..next to the hole where the double male fitting screws in to is the oil pressure relief valve,if you can get it out i would replace it with the higher pressure one.your local gm dealer can get them fo about 7 bux.if you hook the oil cooler lines to the block make sure your coolers are strong because i believe theirs no bypass..

Last edited by FIXX; 01-19-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 282 Likes on 136 Posts

so if i want to run the filter off of the stock oil filter pad, i only run the one bypass that goes in the pad. then hook my lines that go to the cooler to the holes on the right in the pic. correct????
Attached Thumbnails Whats the reason for a remote oil filter???-oilfilerpad.jpg  

Last edited by 302Sport; 01-19-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

yep thats what mine looked like

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!