trim on throttle question >

trim on throttle question

Notices

trim on throttle question

Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blownhammer2000
i appreciate all the input here, hate gettin a new boat and finding things wrong, oh well, the trim position sensors are the pucks on the side of the drive correct? i never messed with them so which side should i check and and what are the adjustments, could they just need cleaned?
If the switch on the throttle has power coming out of it, I would just replace the trim limit switch altogether. I think it comes in a kit with the trim sending unit. Does the gauge on the dash work?

It should be around $100 to replace everything. If you clean it and get it to work, you're probably going to be mad as hell when you have to do it all over again in a month.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

i checked for power but only the red had power, even on the helm switch, i could reach the button and nothing on the green, even though it worked, never checked the guage so thats on my list tonight
Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I overlooked that both the helm and traansom switch work. Do you have both a trim and a trailer button on the dash...the dash trim button works fine?

Gauge is a separate item, it's not involved here.

Did you jump the red hot wire to 1 of the other 2 wires?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-20-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I overlooked that both the helm and traansom switch work. Do you have both a trim and a trailer button on the dash...the dash trim button works fine?

i have a trim button on the helm and transom, both of those work full down to full up, no trailer button, throttle button works down just nothing going up even though drive is almost the whole way down, can't get enough clearance to do full down but its very close the up botton on the throttle should def tilt it some
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

The trim button on the transom should be wired just as a trailer button, with no feedback from the limit switch puck.

Not following on the helm button though. If it is a 'trim' button,and it is working fine, and you have a 2nd button for trailer, which I gather you don't ??

Try unpluging the 2 black wires behind the motor coming from the limit switch (this is the port side puck) and connecting the 2 leads to the dash together, bypassing the limit switch altogehte, and see if it now works. If so, problem is the puck end, if still no work, it's the throttle end.

You have standard electric trim gauge and not mechanical indicators, correct?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Registered

The trim button on the transom should be wired just as a trailer button, with no feedback from the limit switch puck.

Not following on the helm button though. If it is a 'trim' button,and it is working fine, and you have a 2nd button for trailer, which I gather you don't ??

Try unpluging the 2 black wires behind the motor coming from the limit switch (this is the port side puck) and connecting the 2 leads to the dash together, bypassing the limit switch altogehte, and see if it now works. If so, problem is the puck end, if still no work, it's the throttle end.

You have standard electric trim gauge and not mechanical indicators, correct?
sorry, i'm calling it trim button but yes the transom and helm are trailer, i know what you mean about having a 2nd for trailer, my baja had that, but these 2 are trailer, so the only trim button i have is on the throttle, i have standard electric guage, i will give the bypass a try and hopefully i can figure what direction to go in, thanks abunch for your help
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

That sounds better. A little easier to diagnose.

I'd do this 1st as it's easiest....Remove the plastic puck cap cover (4 screws only. Don't remove the 2 outermost screws. Those are for adjustment and should never need readjusted) from the limit switch on the port side and see if the contact blade is making contact with the contacts while the drive is down. It should be. If not, hinge pin may have lossened up. I have seen this and it makes the limit switch not work.That ain't good and needs to be addressed. Don't just reposition the blade assembly as that s a sign of something else. Be carefull when you remove the cap. Sometimes the contact blade will pull out and you won't know where it was to diagnose.
If all looks good here, do the switch bypass check.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-20-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just asked about the gauge because they seem to tend to go bad together, or within a reasonable time of one another.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue sky, green grass. Blue should be up, green down.

Originally Posted by blownhammer2000
ok, i messing with this and the red is power, blue is down, green is up, am i right? all connections are good and have power from helm switch to throttle switch, have power out of that connection to the throttle switch, is there any way to check the actual throttle switch or take it out of the throttle?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered

boy do i feel like a dumba$$, first off let me say thank you to everyone who responded to this and for their input on this issue, turns out their was no issue, i realized that i had to have the batteries on and the key turned on for it to work, all the years with my baja i never knew of this, though i never used the trim button when i was running it on the trailer or raising it back up on the trailer, always the trailer button, thanks again to everyones response, oso is an awesome site!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.