Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Roller rocker clatter >

Roller rocker clatter

Notices

Roller rocker clatter

Old 05-17-2002, 08:02 PM
voodoo

Default Roller rocker clatter

Do roller rockers typically clatter more than a stock rocker? I have had the lash checked twice and everything is on the spot. Never had an engine with them on before so don't know what to look for. Both sides sound exactly the same. Maybe I am paranoid?

Old 05-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

they should call them racket rockers, and yes,mine do ma ke noise also,but with open exhaust you hear nuttin tripps
Old 05-18-2002, 03:19 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine clatter too. Not a ticking, but a clatter. I was surprised since I thought an all roller valvetrain was supposed to be quiet.
Old 05-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by tripps
they should call them racket rockers, and yes,mine do ma ke noise also,but with open exhaust you hear nuttin tripps
You know you guys have brought up a good question!
I have a new roller sbc with comp cams roller tip rockers. I hear a "clatter" also. If I put my ear real close to the valve covers I can hear the valve train at idle. But a 2000 rpm's and above I can hear them working. I thought maybe something was not right. I mean it's not like a loose rocker arm or anything just a nice "clatter". My engine builder told me it was normal. My marine mechanic says no. So I was relly kind of stumped. Guess I still am but the more I hear one way or the outher the better. Any one else with a "clatter"?

Bad-Habit
Old 05-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Registered

Mine were a bit noisey when she was cold but not after warm up.On my new motor I am going to use the valve covers that can be pulled without exhaust needing to be removed so after x amount of hours I can got back and recheck in a lot less time and trouble James
Old 05-18-2002, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Because of a roller rocker arm's size (the body is usually beefier over a stock rocker arm) sometimes one or two of the roller rocker arms will hit the sides/edges of the valve cover near the valve cover bolt hole bosses------or just near the edges of the valve cover alone. What engine builders typically do is grind a small amount (just enough to clear) off the corner or the part of the rocker arm body that is rubbing against the valve cover. Don't feel like this has happend only to you----at happens to a lot of guys who make the switch over from stock stamped steel rocker arms to a roller rocker arm set-up. It's usually just a small clearance problem is all. Also, make sure you have adjusted the valves correctly with the rocker arm adjusting nuts. If they're not adjusted correctly the lifters will chatter.

These are only two ideas that MAY be your problem...but then they may not be either....it's just something that's worth checking out.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:26 AM
Registered

Kamma brings up a good point in "clearencing" your valve covers, I had to do some significant grinding on mine to stop the rockers from rubbing them. Also, if you are running a solid roller cam the "lash" will cause clatter as well, especially when he motor is cold. The stock 454 vortec in my 97 Suburban clatters when its cold to..gotta wait for the oil to get up there

Last edited by jdnca1; 05-19-2002 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:55 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My rockers still have some clatter even with the 2 rockers clearanced for the V/C bolts, so not a hitting issue. No signs of rubbing in the covers either. To me a clatter sounds like a valve lash issue, yet they are hyd. Have had the same sound with valves adj. a couple of different times on the roller cam, and also the last flat tappit cam. So I write it off as nature of the beast as the lifters aren't the cause. I have a buddy that has a roller 350 and it's as quiet as can be. Maybe its just the sound of the pushrods in the guide plates since the rockers can twist freely some. I would like to know what's up too!
Old 05-20-2002, 08:28 AM
Registered

Originally posted by US1 Fountain
My rockers still have some clatter even with the 2 rockers clearanced for the V/C bolts, so not a hitting issue. No signs of rubbing in the covers either. To me a clatter sounds like a valve lash issue, yet they are hyd. Have had the same sound with valves adj. a couple of different times on the roller cam, and also the last flat tappit cam. So I write it off as nature of the beast as the lifters aren't the cause. I have a buddy that has a roller 350 and it's as quiet as can be. Maybe its just the sound of the pushrods in the guide plates since the rockers can twist freely some. I would like to know what's up too!
Great point! The guideplates might have something to do with it after all! I wonder if everyone experencing the "clatter" have guide plates. And the one's without don't.... A Poll any one????

Put me down for yes on guide plates/roller cam and clatter....

Yes-2
No-???
Old 05-20-2002, 08:46 AM
turbo2256

Has anyone checked there valve tip contact pattern. It is much more critical on the roller tips than the slipper style on the factory rockers.

Quick Reply: Roller rocker clatter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.