Notices

REED cam??

Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great. Thanks for the info guys. I guess my next step is determining what pistons heads, intake ect to use to build a nasty yet reliable N/A motor, then get ahold of Rmbuilder. I dont know much about big HP so this is going to be alot of thinkin and price comparisons. Was thinkin trick flow 360 heads, dart single plane intake, mahle dome pistons, rm cam.. any opinions? I own a business manufacturing sportbike stunt parts so i know it can be a pain in the a$$ workin with people that dont know anything about it. I just hate the thought of spending the money on this motor and not setting it up correctly. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SickSation; 02-01-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

when i was racing turbo Buick's I had engines built by Jim Ruggles who was a personal friend of John Reed, in fact, Jim built John's all aluminum small block Chevy for his airplane, I was there when it was dynoed... Reed had a great reputation at the time...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
when i was racing turbo Buick's I had engines built by Jim Ruggles who was a personal friend of John Reed, in fact, Jim built John's all aluminum small block Chevy for his airplane, I was there when it was dynoed... Reed had a great reputation at the time...
Sounds like he made a great cam. I just wish i could find out the specs. I dont want to have a mystery cam. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

Default Specs on Cam

Originally Posted by SickSation
Sounds like he made a great cam. I just wish i could find out the specs. I dont want to have a mystery cam. Thanks for the info.
Do give Julius Hughes a call at the Atlanta Speed Shop. They were a dealer for Reed and may still have the info. Julius Hughes father was an old time top fuel racer here in the south and he owned the Honest Charlies Speed shops. He was personal friends with John Reed and an authorized dealer. He was also one of the first Fountain dealers in the south and a long time stock holder in Fountain. The number of the speed shop is 770 356-3468. I never ran a Reed Cam, but I remember he was well respected and would grind a custom grind for you instead of the off the shelf stuff that others had.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SickSation
Anyone familiar with these? Found out this is whats in my 540
I cant find any information on this cam...

Reed
CH-288-98-10A3
The CH hydraulic series cams were Reeds "Street/Strip" line. They were used often in vacuum rule series.
The CH288 rates @;
288º @ .006"
228º @ .050"
.297" Lift Lobe
.505" Lift Valve
You will need to determine the actual lobe phasing.
This cam carries significantly less area than the original Bulldog which is a contributing factor in the engine running out prematurely.

Bob
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rmbuilder
The CH hydraulic series cams were Reeds "Street/Strip" line. They were used often in vacuum rule series.
The CH288 rates @;
288º @ .006"
228º @ .050"
.297" Lift Lobe
.505" Lift Valve
You will need to determine the actual lobe phasing.
This cam carries significantly less area than the original Bulldog which is a contributing factor in the engine running out prematurely.

Bob
I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but would the cam explain why it was a torque monster, but lacked on rpm?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Reed had a thing for fast ramp cams..

hell on lifters sometimes... but oh Boy did they make tq and power