Whipple 454mpi mag >

Whipple 454mpi mag

Notices

Whipple 454mpi mag

Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whipple 454mpi mag

do they make a whipple for a 454 mag the 385hp motor...I was looking at prochargers but heard some bad stuff about them. Any help would be nice. Since the boat doesnt have o2 sensors like a car, would i just get the ecu rechipped or could you just run a bigger fuel pump at higher psi that would feed more fuel...Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Yes they do make a kit for the 454 models. The whipple kits are built well.. The ecm would be re-flashed on most models. If you are interested in pricing one feel free to give me a shout in the afternoon.. Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically the bigger fuel pump and pressure is how ProCharger takes care of the extra fuel needed. Whipple reprograms the ECM and replaces most of stock fuel system. Very clean and nice looking system.
FYI, if you do either system you should really change your head gaskets to Felpro or Cometic.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Registered

do they blow out that easy? The motor only has about 200hrs on it
Old 02-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by prostock3
do they blow out that easy? The motor only has about 200hrs on it
Not always & not usually on 5-psi. But the higher the boost the easier it is to potentially happen on a stock gasket. If my memory is correct the cometic one is ever so slightly thicker which can reduce the compression ratio a whisker too.. J
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Registered

That's about how many hours my 502mpi had on it when I put the Whipple on. The head gaskets didn't last for a year. I made it a habit of replacing them right from the get go, and a few others I have upgraded to spuercharger apps all looked like they were ready to blow through or leak between cylinders when changed. I'm sure others will chime in here and say the same thing. You will already have some of it apart and in just a few more hours can have the head gaskets replaced, then you won't have to worry.
Are you going to do the upgrade yourself, or take it to a shop to have done?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

no, ill do it myself, i work on bmws for a living so a old school pushrod motor isnt too bad to do haha. Anywas thanks for the headups for the few hrs it takes to do ill be sure to go ahead.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Very good idea! Keep us posted as to what system you decide to go with. I know the whipple is probably more money, but it sure is a nice system if it will fit under your hatch. If you go Procharger, keep asking questions on here, because you won't get any good advise from their tech support. I had to move my seat forward a couple of inches, but I had extra room to do that.