Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Will Merc 10-qt oil pan work with offshore mounts? >

Will Merc 10-qt oil pan work with offshore mounts?

Notices

Will Merc 10-qt oil pan work with offshore mounts?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
That pan is only 8 qts.
Eddie
OK, I did a little more research, and I stand corrected - the Merc pans are 8-qt. So it looks like it will work. Thanks for the info, Eddie.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

My pleasure. Good luck with it. Let me know if I can help.
Eddie
Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Well crap, as luck would have it, it interferes by about one inch! The boat originally came with a small block attached to this mount. I guess they didn't figure on needing extra clearance with that setup. I'm either going to have to modify the oil pan, or go back to a 6-quart GM pan. I'm not interested in forking out another $400 for an aftermarket pan that might not fit any better.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Registered

I'm going to start by removing the lip along the bottom of the mount on the inside, but I don't think that will give me enough clearance. I may have to take the old school oil pan mod method with a 5 lb sledge and a 2x4, but I hate taking the chance of damaging the pan. Cutting and altering the pan might be required.

How much difference will it make running the 6 quart pan versus the 8 quart? I ran the 6 quart on the 461 that was in there before with no oil pressure issues.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Airking
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about trying to find a good used mount here at OSO? Looks like it attaches the same as the bbc mount to the stringer supports. Put ad in the wanted section. I have had pans modified before a good welder can handle it. Or between taking some lip off and taking a plastic hammer to adjust the pan may also work. Just a thought. Eddie can provide a more experianced suggestion I would say.

Last edited by Boater8987; 04-15-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered

I'm going to try taking the inner lip off the mount first, and see where that will get me. If I still need more, I might try denting the pan in a little bit at that spot. I have an old junk pan that had a rod go through it that I can experiment with if I need to. Worse case scenario, I have a friend who is a welder who could probably make a minor modification to the front of the sump. Probably cheaper than finding a new mount. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut that mount that thing looks like it could hold up a bridge.
Weld the flat stock back in or just take it to a welding shop marked for clearance and have them do it.
Keep the pan size for more oil
Jim
Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered

Yep, I didn't really think about just cutting off the lip and moving it up. A plasma cutter would probably handle that easily.