Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish

Notices

Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish

Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
"mirical in a bottle"
I am still looking for that winning lottery ticket too...

sounds like yur lookin forward to spring but not to wet sanding
EXACTLY
Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=low_psi;3327634]I am still looking for that winning lottery ticket too...

too funny psi , but i like the "mirical in a bottle"
Attached Thumbnails Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish-goose.bmp  
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are stuck with sanding since it is baked in the gel, but I would defenitly try the works toilet bowl cleaner. It doesn't cost much and is easy to use. Is the discoleration above the water line, as in all over the hull?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by low_psi
Yeah, I kind of knew this before making the post. Just hoping someone had a "mirical in a bottle" that would magically get ride of the discoloring........... My problem is I have a bad back (2 rods & 4 bolts) so this is going to take more than a couple of 30 packs for me...... Wetsanding isn;t something I want my friends doing for me..... This is one of those if you want it done right, do it yourself areas. So I will just have to do a little bit at a time and not push myself....... I will have to wait until spring to get it out from shrink wrap anyway.
This is one of those if you want it done right, do it yourself areas.

I hear ya
Attached Thumbnails Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish-12-16-10-003.jpg   Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish-12-16-10-004.jpg   Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish-bunks-003.jpg  

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 02-16-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: pic download
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I've got a similiar problem, but it's along the waterline when we've been tied up all day (especially next to some deisel cruiser) the gelcoat just doesn't seem to keep the crap off.

I wax the boat once a month to help keep it white.

It's ridicuios what I have to do to get it clean/off (especially on the sides by the back of the boat, almost have to break my back.

Think my gelcoat needs to be redone, it's a bear having a all white boat ?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered

My issue is all over the boat. The sides (above the waterline) are discolored. Also the boat does seem to absorb dirty water and leaves scum lines that are not as eaasy as they should be to clean. I think the Gel has become pourous from not being cared for and is allowing the dirt and grime to penetrate and sit in the pores. I think a good wetsanding is in order.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 314joey
I've got a similiar problem, but it's along the waterline when we've been tied up all day (especially next to some deisel cruiser) the gelcoat just doesn't seem to keep the crap off.

I wax the boat once a month to help keep it white.

It's ridicuios what I have to do to get it clean/off (especially on the sides by the back of the boat, almost have to break my back.

Think my gelcoat needs to be redone, it's a bear having a all white boat ?

it's a bear having a all white boat
but they sure do shine up pretty
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Registered

low PSI, I would try this stuff as it works great, just not sure it's going to help you above the water line. I have seen it at several marine places, and I use it all the time. You will need it anyway to keep the water line clean after the sand & buff job. http://www.waterskis.com/Safe-AR-Hul...ll_cleaner.htm

Joey, this will take care of most any yellowing coming from that water. I used to spend a few hours every year buffing the yellow crap off my boat, as our water has a lot of deposits in it. Once I found this, I just spray it on and wait for 5-10 minutes and hose it off. The white looks like it came out of the mold.

Here is a PDF of the product from the manufacturer.
http://www.kem-tech.com/images/specs...RE-SAFE-AR.pdf
One more thing, a buddy of mine had some of his boat clear coated when he had stripes done and the only parts that yellow now are the open gel areas.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Glassdave?? i think Swares by this stuff made by fountain of youth and no its not a reggie product

http://www.fountainofyouthrestore.co...wer_One_1.html

and the video http://www.vimeo.com/16294171

Last edited by FIXX; 02-16-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered

I use Starbright hull cleaner, it has a small amount of corrisive in it. gel coat is porous to a certain extent. I have a light gray 87' model boat that has spent most of its life outside. I use the cleaner then a coat of wax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.