Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish >

Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish

Notices

Bringing Back a Gel Coat Finish

Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice link mrfixxall. The AR-Hull cleaner works exactly like that does after looking at the demo videos. I like the other products they have also.
Doggiedave, that stuff works good also, but it does have acid as the reactor and both of these are none acid products,
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I used Starbrite for years, just not cutting it anymore.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Give these a try Joey, I'm sure it will take care of your issue. It is so easy, as easy as the demo video, you won't believe it until you try it.
I wish I had it years ago before all the hours I've spent with a buffer.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Registered
VIP Member

One thing I havn't seen mentioned is that pigment in the gelcoat isn't consistent. The top layer of gelcoat is mostly clear when the boat is new. The pigment, which is more porous, is beneath the surface. The more you wet sand or use abrasive polish, the more of the clear topcoat you remove and the more difficult it is to keep the shine. That's why some boats get that chalky look quickly. Imron holds up a lot better.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered

Rezort to wet sanding last... you dont know the thickness gel coat and the last thing you need to due is make it thinner There are lot of good micro compounds out there like Meguiars 3M that due less damage "thinning of the gel coat" and yes you need a good wheel dewalt makes a sweet wheel for under 200.00 and lots of polish after that and some wax Then you will be ready for the Sunny Day's at Sugar.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Fountain of youth power one stuff amazed me last year.... Wear gloves!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
Rezort to wet sanding last... you dont know the thickness gel coat and the last thing you need to due is make it thinner There are lot of good micro compounds out there like Meguiars 3M that due less damage "thinning of the gel coat" and yes you need a good wheel dewalt makes a sweet wheel for under 200.00 and lots of polish after that and some wax Then you will be ready for the Sunny Day's at Sugar.
I just noticed this post.. Rockfish, I take it you have seen my boat anchored out at Sugar Island?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent the last two days wetsanding on the boat. Yesterday I did the Port side (rub rail down) by hand. First with 1000 grit then 1500 grit, heavy Cut compund, Fine compound, then a polish. Today I used the DA on the Starbord side. I used the DA with 1000 grit, then lightly again by hand with 1000 grit (to get smaller areas that were missed by DA), then 1500 by hand, then the above mentioned compounds and polish. While I am not going to be able to get the color back 100%, it is looking MUCH better. I was able to get most of the dicoloration out and brought back an incredible gloss. I hope to have the deck completed by Sunday evening.

If anything, the wetsanding has leveled out the surface, so cleaning it should be easier going forward. It no longer has a haze to it, it basically looks like an automotive paint finish now.

I NEVER WANT TO HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!!! Thank god my boat is only 26'.