502 mag wont idle

Notices

502 mag wont idle

Old 10-30-2011, 03:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I agree with the other guys, sounds like a IAC or MAP sensor. Could be unpluged or defective, the IAC is a stepper motor it will not usually trigger a code.
Oh, and fire the mechanic
Correct! Diacom has a nice "graph" funtion that shows the IAC level. If the IAC is not working, the graph will be flat lined. But, still no code.

The shop probably figured that had to make something up to cover a rookie mistake.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
Correct! Diacom has a nice "graph" funtion that shows the IAC level. If the IAC is not working, the graph will be flat lined. But, still no code.

The shop probably figured that had to make something up to cover a rookie mistake.
Just for future information, the IAC is a $26 part from the auto parts store so if your idle ever shows problems again, it's a common part that fails and for $26 and about 15 minutes time you can replace it and rule that one out.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by kawzracn442
I just repaired mine for the same issue. I absolutely guarantee that it was a vacuum leak. I checked for leaks everywhere and finally just pulled everything apart, cleaned, and installed new gaskets and it idles perfect. Glad you got it running.
Looks like it absolutely guaranteed wasn't a vacuum leak based on post #16
Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chico&Zeus
Just for future information, the IAC is a $26 part from the auto parts store so if your idle ever shows problems again, it's a common part that fails and for $26 and about 15 minutes time you can replace it and rule that one out.
Do you have the part number of the IAC from a parts store. Most parts guys around here wouldn't know how to look it up if you don't give them a year and make of the car/truck. I would like to keep a spare on hand for $26
Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
Do you have the part number of the IAC from a parts store. Most parts guys around here wouldn't know how to look it up if you don't give them a year and make of the car/truck. I would like to keep a spare on hand for $26
MASTER PRO PART #21755 or 2- IAC2

I think that Checker, O'Reilly and a few other stores carry this brand. $26 vs. the merc part #805224A1 which is nearly $100
Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Thanks Chico&Zues, I drive right by O'Reillys on the way to work everyday, so I will swing in and pickup a spare. In fact I might go ahead and change mine in the off season, and then clean mine to use for the spare.
My garage at the lake is the place where all my friends come to fix there boats, and it seems like it's always the first day of a holiday weekend that someone has a problem. Have saved many Holiday weekends for my buddy's.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Looks like it absolutely guaranteed wasn't a vacuum leak based on post #16
Sorry I tried to help.