Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gen VI oil filter relief valves >

Gen VI oil filter relief valves

Notices

Gen VI oil filter relief valves

Old 03-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why wouldn't you just plug the outer pad bypass, stick a 30lb valve in the center and have done with it?

By the way, does anyone want a brand new teague remote pad filter / cooler adaptor for a mk4 BBC? I recieved a mk3 instead of a gen VI adaptor, oops!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always run mine plugged. That way, in case of a component failure, metal doesn't go all through your engine. Some people worry that if your filter get clogged, you don't get any oil flow but I've never seen much of a drop in oil pressure between oil changes.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
So why wouldn't you just plug the outer pad bypass, stick a 30lb valve in the center and have done with it?

By the way, does anyone want a brand new teague remote pad filter / cooler adaptor for a mk4 BBC? I recieved a mk3 instead of a gen VI adaptor, oops!
You do not want the bypass valve in the center it is the main oil galley
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would anyone happen to have a photo of the center valve? I have a truck w/leaky oil cooler lines & I want to plug them the oil cooler lines for now.

Thank you.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to revive thread, I have a truck gen 6 454 and I'm about to stick it in my boat. I have a oil filter adapter bypass to run a bellhousing mounted oil cooler. I see all this back and forth talk about changing these valves.. I know there is a valve under filter and one next to it. The two holes next to filter area I plugged. Do I need to change valves and if so which valves?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dutchboy
Sorry to revive thread, I have a truck gen 6 454 and I'm about to stick it in my boat. I have a oil filter adapter bypass to run a bellhousing mounted oil cooler. I see all this back and forth talk about changing these valves.. I know there is a valve under filter and one next to it. The two holes next to filter area I plugged. Do I need to change valves and if so which valves?
Change the one on the oil filter pad area. If you don't, there is a good chance your motor won't last long. As long as both oil lines go to the filter adapter, the one (valve) in the center you can remove. It won't really hurt to leave it in, but it just give the oil a straight shot into the motor with doing a bunch of 90 degree turns to route the oil to the external ports that you plugged. This is the part you want to use.

http://paceperformance.com/i-5134579...oler-only.html
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Give this thread a good read, I know it's long but it has some really good info. with pic's, of all your oiling questions, from fittings to lines, coolers and your bypass questions, this is the article that was given to me when I did my motor. Enjoy!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ardware-9.html
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered

Well great. Have ran my motor for three hours so hopefully it's ok. My adapter has two fittings and they go straight through to the lines.looks different than the sandwich style. It's a Gen vi block. From what I gather there are two bypass valves on the motor where the filter would normally go. I need to leave the center one out and there's one which would be where the oil returns to the block and there's one on the side where the oil exits the block and goes to the cooler. It needs to be replaced with a 30lb. Is this correct. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Registered

I'm not sure I even understand what I just wrote. From what I have read need to take bypass out of center on the block and bypass on side of block needs to be replaced with a 30 lb. My oil adapter has two lines. Exiting the bottom. One in center and one on outside. They are straight through holes.. Sounds like I might have my oil temp and sending unit in wrong place too. Its just plumbed in next to the adapter on the block.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by N2spd
I'm not sure I even understand what I just wrote. From what I have read need to take bypass out of center on the block and bypass on side of block needs to be replaced with a 30 lb. My oil adapter has two lines. Exiting the bottom. One in center and one on outside. They are straight through holes.. Sounds like I might have my oil temp and sending unit in wrong place too. Its just plumbed in next to the adapter on the block.
Correct, the bypass is on the the filter pad once you remove the adapter. The center can be removed to avoid sending the oil around several 90deg turns, but is not absolutely necessary. The location of your sender sounds like it is in the right place. As far as temp, I'm not sure if that is before the cooler or after.