Removing Apoxied Hatch Latches >

Removing Apoxied Hatch Latches

Notices

Removing Apoxied Hatch Latches

Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Apoxied Hatch Latches

I'm trying to replace the left and right hatch latches since the left is brokend except for the base and the right, where the riser goes, is broken as well. The latch bases are glued to the hatch (Bomar). Has anyone had to remove old or broken latches and if so, what did you do to not crack or break the hatch?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Can you get under the latch at all? I have used dental floss on items that were siliconed in place. If you can get it under one corner, and then kinda saw back and forth to cut through the sealant.

I know they make some heavier line for this as well, but dental floss has worked for me.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you called bomar about just replacing the broken pieces? Glueing on new base's might be a problem.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered

Haven't talked to Bomar directly. I was planning onn ordering the replacement parts from them though. On Pompanette (sp?)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by harsin
Have you called bomar about just replacing the broken pieces? Glueing on new base's might be a problem.
I figured I'd put an update in here. I talked to Bomar yesterday. The original latches are some kind of weld that is done to hold them in place so it looks like I will have to buy a new hatch lid with parts assembled on it. The nice thing is that all they want is the serial number from the hatch and they can figure out what part I'd need to replace the lid.