need some help >

need some help

Notices

need some help

Old 03-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

Hello I just got a 1988 carrera with 2 small blocks with B&m superchargers that were fogged out but have not been started in 4 years any thing I should do before I try to start them? of course im hopping for the best and noy having to tear them apart!!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FRESH GAS!!!

try to take a fuel sample to make sure there is no water in the tank...but make sure you drain it as much as possible and start with fresh premium. take it easy on it til you run some fuel thru it otherwise you will be taking them apart for sure.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

Tommy,

First of all .... what SK said ..... make sure the fuel system is clean from front to back. We have seen a rash of problems lately with engines that have been sitting for more than a year, particularly with intake valves sticking open because of the fuel turning to glue

The other thing I would want to do is figure out a way to pre-oil the engines right before you start them. It is pretty easy to do if you have the proper tool, but does require removing the distributors. They do make a preoiler that is a pressurized container that you hook up to the port where the oil pressure gauge goes and it pushes fresh oil into the engine from there. Last but not least, you could pull all of the plugs, shoot some oil into the cylinders, then crank the engines with the starter until you see oil pressure on the guage, then put the plugs back in and fire it up. This last method is the least desireable, but is better than nothing.

HTH,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

Thank you for your reply Im very excited to try to start these hot rods but dont want to mess up a 23 year old virgin!!!! yes the boat and motors only have 60 hours
Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They have the primer tool at Jeg's for $20. Works great.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...oductId=754806
Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BillK
Tommy,

First of all .... what SK said ..... make sure the fuel system is clean from front to back. We have seen a rash of problems lately with engines that have been sitting for more than a year, particularly with intake valves sticking open because of the fuel turning to glue

The other thing I would want to do is figure out a way to pre-oil the engines right before you start them. It is pretty easy to do if you have the proper tool, but does require removing the distributors. They do make a preoiler that is a pressurized container that you hook up to the port where the oil pressure gauge goes and it pushes fresh oil into the engine from there. Last but not least, you could pull all of the plugs, shoot some oil into the cylinders, then crank the engines with the starter until you see oil pressure on the guage, then put the plugs back in and fire it up. This last method is the least desireable, but is better than nothing.

HTH,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
x2 but I would change the oil and filter first,
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
That one will work fine
Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered

Default need some help

Originally Posted by picklenjim
thank you for the link I orderd the primer pump