Like Tree0Likes

Pressure Test Headers

Reply
Old 03-06-2011, 06:55 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: grosse ile, mich
My Boats: 05 cig 42 tiger,w/ 525
Posts: 1,183
Default Pressure Test Headers

iam going to pressure test my headers in the spring,,,i want to know where iam at with this cmi headers (525 mercury marine headers),,,,will this pipe plug work,,,looking for inside diamater of headers at the collector,,,http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CHE...ipe-Plug-1VNF7
TWIN-SPINS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 AM
  #2
Banned
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: michigan
My Boats: 3600 Nor-tech Super Cat
Posts: 2,106
Default

You do not close off the end of the pipe to test them. You pressurize the water part of the headers with air and check for leaks.
brian41 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 PM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: COAL CITY IL.
My Boats: 2013-338 Skater, Young Performance engines,w/Arnesons
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian41 View Post
You do not close off the end of the pipe to test them. You pressurize the water part of the headers with air and check for leaks.
i just checked mine last week,i did it with my water hose,35 psi of water,there should not be more than that in them.i hooked the water hose to the pipe on the bottom(water hose fits inside the 1 inch hose,attach with hose clamp)plug off other ends of bottom pipe.then i put a short piece of hose on the top of the header(were the u shaped hose dumps into the tail pipes)and installed a 3/4 water spicket in the end of the hose.then i stood the header uprite opened the upper spicket,turned on the water,let it run until all the air was pushed out the top,then shut the top spicket and let it build pressure.then checked inside for leaks.
Crazy Dayz Skater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM
  #4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
TomFTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Glen Cove ,NY 11542
My Boats: 37 Outerlimits,42 Searay,17 Boston Whaler
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dayz Donzi View Post
i just checked mine last week,i did it with my water hose,35 psi of water,there should not be more than that in them.i hooked the water hose to the pipe on the bottom(water hose fits inside the 1 inch hose,attach with hose clamp)plug off other ends of bottom pipe.then i put a short piece of hose on the top of the header(were the u shaped hose dumps into the tail pipes)and installed a 3/4 water spicket in the end of the hose.then i stood the header uprite opened the upper spicket,turned on the water,let it run until all the air was pushed out the top,then shut the top spicket and let it build pressure.then checked inside for leaks.
that is the way to do it....
TomFTM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM
  #5
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: grosse ile, mich
My Boats: 05 cig 42 tiger,w/ 525
Posts: 1,183
Default

ok,, if the water empties into the tailpipe after the collector,,,this will make what iam trying to do easier,,,i want to just use air ,,like it do on a car radiator ,,,pump it up to a certain pressure and watch the gage for leaks,,,talked to cmi tech,,they thought it should work,,,,i am trying to do this with the headers on the boat,,,ifs there something i am missing,,, or could this work,,,now it the air test shows a leak then off they come,,,im doing this as a precaution only,,,did not have any isues last season
TWIN-SPINS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM
  #6
Registered
Trade Score: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Between A Womans Leggs in IL
My Boats: 77 donzi x18 92 formula 336 sr1
Posts: 6,321
Default Fixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS View Post
ok,, if the water empties into the tailpipe after the collector,,,this will make what iam trying to do easier,,,i want to just use air ,,like it do on a car radiator ,,,pump it up to a certain pressure and watch the gage for leaks,,,talked to cmi tech,,they thought it should work,,,,i am trying to do this with the headers on the boat,,,ifs there something i am missing,,, or could this work,,,now it the air test shows a leak then off they come,,,im doing this as a precaution only,,,did not have any isues last season
take them off to test,,what if their is a leak and theirs still water in the header tubes? then it will get water in the cylinder..their is also a visual inspection before pressure testing..

some headers will seep after they get hot so the visual inspection is also a good idea,,look for white spots in the inner tubes and rust build up in the cylinder heads..

Last edited by FIXX; 03-06-2011 at 06:14 PM.
FIXX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.