need mufflers >

need mufflers

Notices

need mufflers

Old 03-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need mufflers

HI i need muffler for my 496 HO (it is only thru transom).what do you think about the Hardin Marine Tomahawk Mufflers,borla,CMI,or gibson bullet muffler.i need to be legal but not loose to much performance.thank
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

Default 496 mufflers

I went with CMI headers and mufflers on my 496 mags, to effective! I ended up blocking them open 25% sounds great now! Great sound but not over the top. Wife wasn't to pleased with the modification since the mufflers were her xmass present!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered

Default 496 mufflers

I went with CMI headers and mufflers on my 496 mags, to effective! I ended up blocking them open 25% sounds great now! Great sound but not over the top. Wife wasn't to pleased with the modification since the mufflers were her xmass present!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just tested a set of GGB mufflers on the dyno. At 900 HP there was no power loss and sound went from 103db at idle to 92db.

Bob Lloyd
Full Throttle Marine

Originally Posted by zx14k
HI i need muffler for my 496 HO (it is only thru transom).what do you think about the Hardin Marine Tomahawk Mufflers,borla,CMI,or gibson bullet muffler.i need to be legal but not loose to much performance.thank
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I put a set of Gibsons on my 522. I didn't notice any power loss and keeps me legal when going down the local river. My wife and daughter had me take them off, not loud enough.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

A single 496HO should be very close to legal as far as noise anyway. I would just put on a pair of Drew Marine Shotguns.
No loss of power, takes the bark off the noise at idle quite a bit and some at cruise speeds and relatively inexpensive.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by zx14k
Well here's a thought since your on the lower end of the horsepower spectrum than most of these reply's. You could simply use slip in silencers in a standard 4" exhaust tip for merely $79.95 http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-12622...-silencer.aspx These units are extremely effective at reducing noise without horsepower loss on applications of 425HP and less. While all of the mufflers listed are an excellent choice and you could spent 5-10 times this money on different silencers but you will find that your stock horsepower requirements simply won't warrant a more exotic silencer unless your searching for that look.