External steering rams? >

External steering rams?

Notices

External steering rams?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

First... Thanks for all the replys ..!!!..
Today I removed the outdrive and put back the engine in first to take a break on the steering...
Still.. the rams wont sync.... they are x plumbed for the steering but when lifting the drive and both or at least one ram extends there is no ballance..!
The amount of oil coming out on the rod side(s) when the rod(s) are pulled out is way less than the amount needed on the other x ed cylinder behind the piston due to the fact that on the back of the piston there is no rod! (unbalanced cylinders)
Either way there is a vacuum when moving up.. or moving down there is over-pressure in the lines as the oil cant flow back and for through the steering pump (wouldnt be good). A pressure relieve valve would kick open at 1000 but think of the stress on the gimbalrings upper bearing (auch!!)
I also drawn some... I calculated a 1:2 unbalance factor for the cylinders. The top dia is when only one cylinder would extend and the other slaves... the below is when they both extend. ( dont know how to attach tho??)
I almost give up but then...you guys have it working so there must be a way..

Last edited by Frankm; 03-16-2011 at 04:45 PM.