Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Leak down test, what are good numbers? >

Leak down test, what are good numbers?

Notices

Leak down test, what are good numbers?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Leak down test, what are good numbers?

I'm looking at a 500 HP carb, and the results of a cold leak down (boat was winterized, so was done cold)

and the results were between 8% and 18%. Nothing leaked into exhaust or intake. Leakage was rings.

What should this motor read?

At what point is it "bad" or just normal wear?

And are these numbers good, o.k. or screaming rebuild!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would say OK.

8% is good, 18% is not very good.
It could easily be from the cold leakdown test also.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I would say OK.

8% is good, 18% is not very good.
It could easily be from the cold leakdown test also.
Hi Griff, thanks for the input.

I'll also ask for a hot compression test. And if they are good, is there any reason to do a leakdown test?

And if the hot leak down test numbers still are bad, what sort of money (ball park) does it cost the "freashen" a 500 HP ? (I see the term freshen, I assume that mean rebuild, or is that just rings and reseated valves, I'm not sure)

If this motor will need to be rebuilt, I don't mind that, as long as the price is lowered to make up for the repair. (would prefer factory stock, but on a 12 year old boat, I would assume that might be asking too much??)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

If they my engines and they came in between 8 and 18 cold......I would consider them good. If you are considering a boat purchase, get the warm/hot numbers to have as a baseline.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Good.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Slow4me
Hi Griff, thanks for the input.

I'll also ask for a hot compression test. And if they are good, is there any reason to do a leakdown test?

And if the hot leak down test numbers still are bad, what sort of money (ball park) does it cost the "freashen" a 500 HP ? (I see the term freshen, I assume that mean rebuild, or is that just rings and reseated valves, I'm not sure)

If this motor will need to be rebuilt, I don't mind that, as long as the price is lowered to make up for the repair. (would prefer factory stock, but on a 12 year old boat, I would assume that might be asking too much??)
How many hours on the engine????

Most likely, it would just need a top end refresh with a valve job and head gaskets. That should run less than 2k total with parts and labor.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there much of a diffrence between cold and hot test results ? is # 7 the common bad cylinder ?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by whataride
Is there much of a diffrence between cold and hot test results ? is # 7 the common bad cylinder ?
You will see higher numbers when cold. The pistons should expand when hot and help seal. But if the valves are leaking, then it really shoudnt matter to much cold or hot I believe.

I did a cold leakdown test myself last year on my engines. No leakage from valves, all was into crankcase. Engines run great. Leakage highest numbers were around 14% percent on a couple cylinders, most below or around 10% cold. Blower motors with about 90 hours on them.

Leakdown tests are good to do, along with either a oil analysis or checking oil pressure after a hard run. If at idle, the hot oil psi is below 20psi, I'd be worried about excessive bearing wear.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point to remember about hot oil pressure , is there any method of checking bearing wear with motors in boat ?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by whataride
Good point to remember about hot oil pressure , is there any method of checking bearing wear with motors in boat ?
You will have to pull the engines in order to check the bearing clearances..i have a rod bearing tools that i use to check the clearances,the bearings could look good but the rods could be out of round,that's why i use the tool..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.