Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
whats a good flat tappet cam for a Gen IV 454 MAG? >

whats a good flat tappet cam for a Gen IV 454 MAG?

Notices

whats a good flat tappet cam for a Gen IV 454 MAG?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run a roller set up. You will be better off.

Ken
Old 04-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minxguy
Run a roller set up. You will be better off.

Ken
i dont disagree a roller setup is better, however i think its going to be $1000+ more than the flat tappet setup to pick up approx 50ish more hp?? thats why i'm trying to get cost for good setups both ways to make an informed decision.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
i dont disagree a roller setup is better, however i think its going to be $1000+ more than the flat tappet setup to pick up approx 50ish more hp?? thats why i'm trying to get cost for good setups both ways to make an informed decision.
Contact Comp Cams and talk to their tech department. Make sure they know you are building a marine engine. They can give you cost for cam, lifters, rockers, and pushrods.
Something like comps 11 - 242 - 3 would likely work good.

224/230 degrees duration @ .050 lift
.515/.521 lift with 1.7:1 rocker arms.

Comp makes a decent steel roller rocker arm or I think Crane is back in business and you can get Crane Gold (aluminum) roller rockers.

Another option would be to contact rmbuilder (search on this site). He is one of the best sources of custom ground cams that do not cost a lot more than standard cams.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are on a budget, nothing wrong with a flat tappet setup. The roller setup however, will probably cost you an additional 700-800 dollars or so, between the cam and lifters, vs the flat tappet cam and lifters.

In my opinion, its worth it and money well spent. Its free horsepower.

As for the Roller Rockers, flat tappet or roller tappet, they are a good choice. Crane Gold rockers are tried and proven. Also hear the scorpions are good too for the money.

Honestly, I highly recommend a phone call to bob madera. Give him all your details, and he will set you up with a cam, lifters, springs, all that will make great horsepower and be reliable. Really no more cost than what you would end up spending thru jegs or summit. Seach "Bob Madera" on here for his phone number. Good luck
Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
If you are on a budget, nothing wrong with a flat tappet setup. The roller setup however, will probably cost you an additional 700-800 dollars or so, between the cam and lifters, vs the flat tappet cam and lifters.

In my opinion, its worth it and money well spent. Its free horsepower.

As for the Roller Rockers, flat tappet or roller tappet, they are a good choice. Crane Gold rockers are tried and proven. Also hear the scorpions are good too for the money.

Honestly, I highly recommend a phone call to bob madera. Give him all your details, and he will set you up with a cam, lifters, springs, all that will make great horsepower and be reliable. Really no more cost than what you would end up spending thru jegs or summit. Seach "Bob Madera" on here for his phone number. Good luck
+1

585-654-8583
Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Registered

i have already talked with bob a few times on my setup, if i go roller its a no brainer to go with him, his prices are very competitive and after talking to him he is for sure very knowledgeable to say the least.

that said, the roller cam route looks to be a lot more $$ than i thought so thats why i'm trying to get a good baseline cost on a reliable flat tappet setup and weigh it against the cost of the roller setup and go from there.

Last edited by gsxr1216; 04-20-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Registered

This is the combo that I ended up with and it runs very well! I went from 60mph (with 4 people in the boat) to 72mph (with 3 people in the boat), my rpm jumped about 800 rpm, the mid range feels completely different...much stronger and everyone that has ridden in the boat since I completed the motor loves how it runs!

Crane Cams 132561, crane lifters, 3/8th's comp cams push rods and 3/8th's comp cams guide plates, crane gold roller rockers, cloyes "street" true roller timing chain, water crossover, edelbrock preformer rpm (oval port), holley marine 750dp, msd ignition (dist., coil and box), taylor plug wires, stainless marine exhaust, holley blue pump (marine elect.), 396 closed chamber/large oval port heads (light blending and stainless steel valves)...and some misc other small items not worth mentioing.

I just ran the boat Sunday before last and it hit 72 mph @ 5,950rpm with a 21p, 3 blade prop on it. I'm waiting for a 25p, 3 blade labbed prop to show up (hopefully this week) so I can do some more testing.

That Crane Cam, part# 132561 that Griff suggested works very well in the right combo.....Matter of fact, he suggested the same cam to me and I have to say that I'm very pleased with it!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mustangmark
This is the combo that I ended up with and it runs very well! I went from 60mph (with 4 people in the boat) to 72mph (with 3 people in the boat), my rpm jumped about 800 rpm, the mid range feels completely different...much stronger and everyone that has ridden in the boat since I completed the motor loves how it runs!

Crane Cams 132561, crane lifters, 3/8th's comp cams push rods and 3/8th's comp cams guide plates, crane gold roller rockers, cloyes "street" true roller timing chain, water crossover, edelbrock preformer rpm (oval port), holley marine 750dp, msd ignition (dist., coil and box), taylor plug wires, stainless marine exhaust, holley blue pump (marine elect.), 396 closed chamber/large oval port heads (light blending and stainless steel valves)...and some misc other small items not worth mentioing.

I just ran the boat Sunday before last and it hit 72 mph @ 5,950rpm with a 21p, 3 blade prop on it. I'm waiting for a 25p, 3 blade labbed prop to show up (hopefully this week) so I can do some more testing.

That Crane Cam, part# 132561 that Griff suggested works very well in the right combo.....Matter of fact, he suggested the same cam to me and I have to say that I'm very pleased with it!
man 5900 rpm!! thats turning some rpm right there
Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

i acquired a HP500 carb roller cam for my 1990 Gen IV MAG 454 carbed motor but am nervous about reversion with the imco exhaust i got since i have silent choice also.

SO, i'm thinking about just replacing the stock flat tappet cam with something better so reversion wont be an issue and pick up some HP along the way, plus it will be more cost effective than going to the roller setup, any ideas on a good flat tappet cam to work with my stock heads intake ETC, basically the motor is bone stock except the imco powerflow exhaust.

thanks!
Flat Tappet lifter quality is so marginal I wouldn't bother. It's really cheap but you may wind up paying if/when a lifter wipes out after initial start-up. I had it happen to me 5 years ago and spent about $1200 to fix the engine.

A Crane 731 will be a good cam and wont have reversion.

Last edited by Panther; 04-21-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Flat Tappet lifter quality is so marginal I wouldn't bother. It's really cheap but you may wind up paying if/when a lifter wipes out after initial start-up. I had it happen to me 5 years ago and spent about $1200 to fix the engine.

A Crane 731 will be a good cam and wont have reversion.
why are so many people having issues with wiping out flat tappet cams??? lack of lifter quality? lack of zinc in there oil?? other reasons??

heck my 20 year old, 500+ hour flat tappet cam that came out of this motor looks very very good, the lifter look mint too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.