Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
no spark (msd ign) >

no spark (msd ign)

Notices

no spark (msd ign)

Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, yea I know about the MSD issues. I'm not ready to replace the whole system just yet. this is the first issue I have had with it. I had to replace the stock merc dist on my last boat too.

Luckily I have a spare box, and now have a back up dist, just need to change the gear on it.

If I continue to have problems with it, It will get replaced.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

have you checked to see if there is any spark at the underside of dist cap? That is where I had a problem last year. Spoent days trying to figure it out. Put on a new cap and fired right up. It sounds too simple I know but the connection had burned out in the cap.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

actually yea I did. I took the dist apart over the winter to clean it up. I think I screwed the magnet pick up, when I cleaned it up.

I tried taking it apart again, and the c clamp bascially crumbled, and all the seals, and bushings etc were rotted, so I am just gonna send it back, and get her refurbished.

I'm just glad thats all it is. I did ALOT of electrical work this winter, and was afraid, I goofed something up, and wasn't looking forward to retracing all the wires.