Braided Line / Fuel Permeation >

Braided Line / Fuel Permeation

Notices

Braided Line / Fuel Permeation

Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Braided Line / Fuel Permeation

1992 Formula 303, carb 454's, electric fuel pumps.

I have been chasing a slight fuel odor in the bilge since last season. It is very, very faint, but noticeable none the less. 5 seconds with the blower and it's all gone, never trips the fume detector, etc. It only occurs when there is pressure in the system. All my fuel plumbing is AN braided line, there is no detectable moisture or leakage at any of the connections, so I was fearing I may have tank problems.

The boat sat covered in the shop all winter with about 10 gallons of fuel in the tank, and I had zero smell in the boat when I changed my plugs yesterday. When I turned on the key and the pumps ran, I started to notice the smell again down low in the bilge. When I remove the access plug for the tank, the smell is not as strong in the tank area as it is low in the bilge.

I stumbled upon this thread on another forum, has anyone else had issues with pump gas and braided line?

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh....php?p=2042585

I'm going to try to pressurize the lines and hold my hand on them for a few seconds to see if I smell fuel. If I do, what is the best hose to use for replacement?

I'm almost 99% sure the tank is fine, if it had a leak or crack wouldn't I have had a very strong fuel smell after the boat was covered all winter?

This is very annoying!

Here's a pic of my pump / filter / gauge set up. The sea pump fuel pumps have been removed.
Attached Thumbnails Braided Line / Fuel Permeation-fuel.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas fumes

i have had that same thing happen to me.what i found was the vent tube on the holly carbs is where i traced my gas smell to.i can turn on my pumps and get a slight smell from them.i guess that is normal and why you are supposed to run the blower before starting the motor.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcfountain
i have had that same thing happen to me.what i found was the vent tube on the holly carbs is where i traced my gas smell to.i can turn on my pumps and get a slight smell from them.i guess that is normal and why you are supposed to run the blower before starting the motor.
I always run the blower and usually open the hatch when starting. The smell just anoys me, and I don't want it to get worse. I'll check out the vents too. I may plug the lines at the carb, and pressurize the system and see if that eliminates the odor.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Here are a few things to look for when you have braided fuel line ; Pressurize the fuel lines and run your fingers under each fuel line as far as you can , check often as the leak may be very small.. DO Not do this with the engine running ! It may feel wet or cool if you are leaking at one of the fittings.
Make sure all the fittings are tight !
Dont know if you are running manual or electric fuel pumps and if you are the original owner but some guys in the past have put on fuel pumps that are not coast guard approved and might spring a small leak in the diaphram. Check the carb vent tubes... Last but not least if you can not find the leak yourself ,Pay a shop that knows what they are doing to check for you , Nothing more dangerous than a gas leak !!!! Good luck

Jim
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Had 1 go bad last year in the DCB, replaced with rubber. I've had multiple issues with this over the years. Stainless has lost it's appeal to me. I smelled faint gas smell like you reported.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

stainless braided hose is not Coast Guard approved and it does have a limited life span. currently California boats (coming to a state near you) are required a "low permiation hose".
Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Had 1 go bad last year in the DCB, replaced with rubber. I've had multiple issues with this over the years. Stainless has lost it's appeal to me. I smelled faint gas smell like you reported.
Yep. Plus technically, its not USCG approved for fuel lines. Im thinking of switching too.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the input. I inherited the lines with the boat, I did know they are not CG approved. I spent some time last night in the bilge, and again could not pin point it. It did seem a little stronger on the starboard side, where the vent and fill are located. I crawled up into the gunnel and the lines at the fittings seem fine, but maybe there is a crack??? I'm going to pull them off tonight, plug the lines at the carbs, and apply 3 psi to the tank and see if it holds pressure. I guess I will keep eliminating pieces from the puzzle and keep re testing.

I'm still hopeful it is not the tank because there is no smell when I open the tank compartment access panel. I put the nose of the trailer pretty much on the floor so any fuel would drain to the area under the step in the cabin. It was bone dry and smell free.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also make sure npt adapters are sealed with a proper sealant. Dont use standard teflon tape.

Also why wouldnt they be better than standard rubber??? Under the stainless is rubber hose! If they are crappy why are they good to hundreds of psi?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

They are electric conductors. Because they are coated with ss they are hard to judge the condition.