Like Tree0Likes

Merc/CMI service bulletin

Reply
Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
  #1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LaPlata, MD, USA
My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados
Posts: 5,172
Default Merc/CMI service bulletin

I ordered the parts to eliminate the bypass hoses on my 525 headers.

Should I use some type of sealant or teflon tape on the fittings?

Some of the connections are metal to metal and some are plastic to metal.

Please keep this on strictly TECHNICAL level. The other issue has been beat to death.
Dave M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LOTO
Posts: 1,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I ordered the parts to eliminate the bypass hoses on my 525 headers.

Should I use some type of sealant or teflon tape on the fittings?

Some of the connections are metal to metal and some are plastic to metal.

Please keep this on strictly TECHNICAL level. The other issue has been beat to death.
I used teflon tape. Might not need anything, pretty low pressure.
redbud35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:07 AM
  #3
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: ..........32........... Active Thunder
Posts: 15,501
Default

Teflon Tape or any type of pipe thread sealer.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 AM
  #4
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LaPlata, MD, USA
My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados
Posts: 5,172
Default

Thanks Guys! It looks to be a 15 minute job.
Dave M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM
  #5
Registered
Trade Score: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
My Boats: 22 Donzi Classic 525 EFI
Posts: 4,518
Default

Where can we get the parts?

Is this mod needed or is it just for installation of the new headers and tailpipes? The service bulletin does not say that all older set-ups should have this mod done. My headers have always stayed cool. When I stop the boat and check the engine room one thing I do is see if I can hold my hand on each header tube.

And here is a link to where that bulletin was posted since I'm sure not everyone saw it.
Merc. and/or CMI lawsuits?

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 03-30-2011 at 08:29 AM.
thirdchildhood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
  #6
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boats: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

teflon tape or leak lock (awesome ch!t )
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
  #7
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Dave M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LaPlata, MD, USA
My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados
Posts: 5,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdchildhood View Post
Where can we get the parts?

Is this mod needed or is it just for installation of the new headers and tailpipes? The service bulletin does not say that all older set-ups should have this mod done. My headers have always stayed cool. When I stop the boat and check the engine room one thing I do is see if I can hold my hand on each header tube.

And here is a link to where that bulletin was posted since I'm sure not everyone saw it.
Merc. and/or CMI lawsuits?
I ordered my parts from BAM. http://www.bammarine.com/

I don't know if it's a must have. I'm just trying (hoping) to lessen the possibility of having issues.
Dave M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 AM
  #8
Registered
Trade Score: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
My Boats: 22 Donzi Classic 525 EFI
Posts: 4,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I ordered my parts from BAM. http://www.bammarine.com/

I don't know if it's a must have. I'm just trying (hoping) to lessen the possibility of having issues.
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it yet. I've always liked the by-pass set-up as long as the proper restrictors are in place.
thirdchildhood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM
  #9
Registered
Trade Score: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
My Boats: 22 Donzi Classic 525 EFI
Posts: 4,518
Default

Just for comparison this is the old set-up:
thirdchildhood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM
  #10
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
My Boats: 2005 353 Fastech w/525's
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdchildhood View Post
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it yet. I've always liked the by-pass set-up as long as the proper restrictors are in place.
The new 525's do not have the bypass and I called CMI and they said get rid of it. That's good enough for me.
JTeam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.