Small rocks in oil filler tube??? >

Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Notices

Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dogturd21
DirtyJerz- I do not understand why you are so reluctant to pull off the valve covers- if they are stock valve covers, then the gasket is a rubber reusable type. Are your exhaust manifolds getting in the way ?
It has nothing to do with reluctance! It was merely a question. I did not have the boat with me at the time I typed the question, so I was just asking since in theory I wasn't sure if anything would be visible since the engine was started so many times.

Runnin: Boy do I wish it was a April fools joke lol! I did not take any pictures, but I wish I would have. I was so concerned with getting the stuff out of it, I didnt even think of it. Im going to pull the covers and do a thorough check!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Can we rewind here?

Rocks? Seriously? Dude, I dont know about you but if there are rocks or pebbles or sand or even a goddam spider in the filler tube, you have a big problem.

If it is a 496, the filler is in the intake, you can pull the intake and hopefully the "rocks" are stuck on the tray over the lifters. If this the case, you should put a screen in the filler tube to prevent this again.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Can we rewind here?

Rocks? Seriously? Dude, I dont know about you but if there are rocks or pebbles or sand or even a goddam spider in the filler tube, you have a big problem.

If it is a 496, the filler is in the intake, you can pull the intake and hopefully the "rocks" are stuck on the tray over the lifters. If this the case, you should put a screen in the filler tube to prevent this again.
Exactly! Mainly the reason why I posted
Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Registered

DirtyJerz - "It has nothing to do with reluctance! It was merely a question." my mistake, I misunderstood.

Well-If it were mine, I would pull the valve covers and see what you can find; clean it out, put it back together and hope for the best. Run a good oil filter. If you can make it through the next 10 hours on the engine, then its probably going to last a long while.

I am not sure where you boat- perhaps if you do not have tow insurance you should get some this year; Towboat US is about $130 for full coverage on the Chesapeake. Keep in mind that a tow from 20-30 miles away could cost you $800-1000.

Last edited by dogturd21; 04-02-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Registered

Dogturd, Im gonna do that tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their input! I'll keep u posted!