Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Small rocks in oil filler tube??? >

Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Notices

Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Hello all! I was changing my oil today (496 HO) and noticed that about 6 quarts spilled into the bilge. After closer inspection, when I poured the oil in the funnel down the filler tube, the tube seemed to get clogged, overflow and would only allow a certain amount of oil in at a time. Obviously I ddint realize this until I had poured 8 quarts in When I looked in the tube, it looked like small peables were clogging it up and not allowing me to pour the oil in very slowly.

So my question, how can I take the oil filler tube off to try to get the rocks out (if they are even rocks, it was dark outside and had to use a flashlight to see) ? I see a bolt attached to the filler hose, but not sure if it is that easy, so I figured I would ask u guys on here!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz
Hello all! I was changing my oil today (496 HO) and noticed that about 6 quarts spilled into the bilge. After closer inspection, when I poured the oil in the funnel down the filler tube, the tube seemed to get clogged, overflow and would only allow a certain amount of oil in at a time. Obviously I ddint realize this until I had poured 8 quarts in When I looked in the tube, it looked like small peables were clogging it up and not allowing me to pour the oil in very slowly.

So my question, how can I take the oil filler tube off to try to get the rocks out (if they are even rocks, it was dark outside and had to use a flashlight to see) ? I see a bolt attached to the filler hose, but not sure if it is that easy, so I figured I would ask u guys on here!

Thanks in advance!
if its a extended tube in the valve cover then it will unscrew like the cap does.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Registered

Oh perfect! I'll have to get in there tomorrow and check it out.

Jobs that are supposed to take all day, I usually do in a few hours............but quick 20 minute things seem to take a few days lol!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Registered

Rocks in oil filler tube???? Do you have kids that like to put things in wierd places?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Rocks in oil filler tube???? Do you have kids that like to put things in wierd places?
Lol! No I dont have any kids, and this is a "new to me" boat. Doing the first oil change and noticed the issue (after alot of wasted oil ) . Although it was a pain in the Ass getting those 4 little rocks out this morning for 2 hours, the most frustrating issue I was having was trying to think how those rocks got in there!!!! There is no concievable way in my mind there would be rocks around when the previous owner had the oil cap off
Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz
Lol! No I dont have any kids, and this is a "new to me" boat. Doing the first oil change and noticed the issue (after alot of wasted oil ) . Although it was a pain in the Ass getting those 4 little rocks out this morning for 2 hours, the most frustrating issue I was having was trying to think how those rocks got in there!!!! There is no concievable way in my mind there would be rocks around when the previous owner had the oil cap off
did you drop the funnel in the rocks,then they stuck to the oul at the end of the funnel?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
did you drop the funnel in the rocks,then they stuck to the oul at the end of the funnel?
Thats why I would say happen.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered

my bigger worry would be if smaller rocks/ sand made it past the filler neck
Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like someone does not like you very much!!Sounds like sabotage to me. Better check closer -- little rocks turn into little sand , and little sand get into small places !

Jim
Old 03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigboat1
Looks like someone does not like you very much!!Sounds like sabotage to me. Better check closer -- little rocks turn into little sand , and little sand get into small places !

Jim
YUP,

Sorry to say it, but I would pe pulling the motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.