Hinge pin removal. Drill?? Any tips welcomed >

Hinge pin removal. Drill?? Any tips welcomed

Notices

Hinge pin removal. Drill?? Any tips welcomed

Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinge pin removal. Drill?? Any tips welcomed

I snapped two hinge pin tools, tried heat, and now stripped the hinge pin trying to use a 1/2" hex. Is my only option is to drill them out? Any tips on drilling?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

I drilled one out on my TRS drives a few boats ago. Just pick a smaller diameter ( can always go bigger later), Sharp, and let the drill do the work. It went pretty easy.

I did the same job for a buddy of mine later on (I sprayed them with canned bead blaster) Came right out with no issue.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I took a sawzall, and cut the pin flush on each side of the drive. Then, took a small bit, like 1/8 or 3/16, i dont remember exactly but it was small. Drilled directly thru the center of the pin. Once i did that, it tapped right out. But before drilling, i tried EVERYTHING. Cut off the excess, drill it, and your done.

I just used a good bit, and lots of cutting oil. It actually drilled easier than i expected.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on trs I have welded bolts to them (side pins) and air guned them out.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Before you do ANYTHING I would soak them in PB Blaster for a couple days. I am sure you don't want to wait, but that stuff works miracles sometimes....
Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

As a last resort weld a nut on the bolt, the heat from the weldingt helps. I sell hinge pins.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Update: started with small bit and worked my way up to a bigger bit. Snapped the heads of the hinge pins off with an extractor after drilling. This allowed me to remove the bellhousing. I barely missed the threads in the bellhousing while drilling. I am left with a crescent moon shape of steel where I drilled the bellhousing. I tried getting the crescent shape remnants out with heat and extractor. I tried chiseling a little also. Decide to give it a rest and see if you guys knew how to get the remainder of the threaded portion of the pin out. Taking to a machine shop tomorrow. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Woke up this morning thinking I'll try burning it with stick welder?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pitts1313
Woke up this morning thinking I'll try burning it with stick welder?
If it's just a 1/2 moon shape, you can't get it out with a dental pick or anything like that? I'm surprised it's in there so tight. When you were using the chisel were only hitting it front to back, or could you get in on the sides a little?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered

Guys I appreciate all the suggestions. Turned the stick welder up on high and blew a piece off and scared to do anymore. It must be loctite and corrosion. I barely missed the threads when drilling. I went ahead and took to machine shop before I messed up anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.