500 EFI - vapor lock?? >

500 EFI - vapor lock??

Notices

500 EFI - vapor lock??

Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 EFI - vapor lock??

I have an intermittent problem with my 500 EFI which seems to be happening more and more often. When the motor is cold, it starts perfectly; first crank every time. The problem ocurrs when I have run the motor up to full operating temp (like cruising around the lake for a while) and then shut down for a period of time- like an hour or so, and then go to start. The motor turns over, giving one quick "fire" like it normally would- but then instead of starting, it doesn't "catch" and continues to crank. From that point on, I can crank it until my battery dies and it won't even fire. The only trick I know when this happens is to let it sit for 10 or 15 min, and crank it; most of the time it fires up. Sometimes, lately, it will only give an initial "fire" and not catch- and I have to repeat the 10 -15 min wait process before I get another chance to try starting it. Sounds almost like it's flooded- but it's an EFI motor?? And I don't smell any fuel in the engine compartment when this is happening.

Has anybody had this issue with a 500 EFI or similar motor? If so, anybody know why this happens and how to solve the problem? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Default 500 EFI cont.

I forgot to mention; the electronic fuel pump energizes and I hear it pumping like normal for a few seconds-- it does not seem to be part of the problem. Also, if I restart the warm motor right after I shut it down, it always fires right up; it's only after it has sat for 10 min or more that this problem happens.

Thanks!!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

I had one do the same thing as you described...I ended up turning the blower fan on 5-10 minutes before I left and it started every time...If I remember correctly it was always the stb. motor and the fuel pump location was between the two motors and held more heat which I assume would boil the fuel on a heat soak situation causing air bubbles in the system...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I think that's why they went to the combo electric and mechanical pumps on the 525.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Their was a TSB on a problem like this but was for the 502 EFI Mags. Before you shut it down open the engine hatch for a bit and when possible leave it open to allow the heat to escape. I will see if I can find it but I am sure someone else will chime in...........
Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Thanks you guys-- I will try those suggestions. I would be surprised if it is a heat related problem, because like many of the folks on here, my boat runs borderline too cold- espicially now while the water is still fairly cold. Last summer the boat would do this maybe once every 20 starts- now it seems to be doing it every two or three starts while out on the lake at operating temps..
Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever changed the fuel filter on the fuel rail located at rear of engine by distributor?

I've never experienced what your describing, but I do run my blower 5 minutes before I start it just to avoid a KABOOM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered

Irishtornado, no I have not- but would a dirty/clogged filter cause problems only under those conditions?? Seems like that would produce problems while running and during cold starts too? Once the motor starts, it purrs like a kitten and never skips a beat under load.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered

Just for grins, hook a timing light to the coil to cap wire and check for spark. At a mininum it rules out the igniton side.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you're going in the right directly with the vapor lock diagnosis... BUT ... I had a 500EFI that did almost this exact same thing for one entire season. Mine would eventually start but sometimes I'd give up for 5-10 minutes then try again and it'd start right up. Drove me absolutely INSANE. Ended up being a loose pin in the main connector. For the sake of doing it, pull your connector apart, spread the pins a little, and make sure everything is good and clean. Would have saved me a lot of headaches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.