Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Silent Choice - is reversion more likely at idle or at cruising speed? >

Silent Choice - is reversion more likely at idle or at cruising speed?

Notices

Silent Choice - is reversion more likely at idle or at cruising speed?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Jeff, I'm buying a set of Lightnings to run on it, but I am going to modify the silent choice diverters to move them back as far as possible and have them act as collectors for the headers. I'm not going for all out performance on this boat - the hull design on the older Baja's is a limiting factor compared to the newer, more efficient hulls. I like having the choice of loud or quiet at the flip of a switch, and I don't mind sacrificing a few MPH for it. Different strokes, as they say. Guess I'm getting old - that, and I have so many other things that I have to spread my $$$ around on.
Yea, my wife really misses the silent choice. I like to let it breath !!! But really, a good compromise would be a good set of mufflers and run the long exhaust risers. Have you called Bob? I and others have posted several times that he is the Guru. Eddie Young is also a good guy to listen too.
Running through the prop is a complete choke on the engine. Have you taken this stuff apart and seen the size of the exhauxt ports though the outdrive? They are correctlly sized for a 4.3 V6, not a BBC !!!

Last edited by jeffswav; 04-17-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Yea, my wife really misses the silent choice. I like to let it breath !!! But really, a good compromise would be a good set of mufflers and run the long exhaust risers. Have you called Bob? I and others have posted several times that he is the Guru. Eddie Young is also a good guy to listen too.
Running through the prop is a complete choke on the engine. Have you taken this stuff apart and seen the size of the exhauxt ports though the outdrive? They are correctlly sized for a 4.3 V6, not a BBC !!!
jeff is rigth . eddie young just made me a tube for my gas tank . did a nice jop .great guy good info.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to Bob on the phone a few weeks ago. He suggested a set of KE manifolds or a set of Lightnings or CMI's. He said the Gil's were better than stock, but he considered them down at the bottom in regards to manifolds. I figured if I am going to spend the money, a true tube header is going to give the most bang for the buck.

Yep, running it straight out to a set of tips would be simpler. Mufflers would help a little, but I like the option of making it quiet or loud. A friend of mine has a set of the Teague switchable tips that he bought used. Wish I could find a set - new they are close to a grand. I just can't swing that right now.