Shorepower question

Notices

Shorepower question

Old 05-25-2002, 05:46 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shorepower question

My new boat has shorepower and a generator. The generator is currently unhooked and out of the boat. ( there is a water leak into the oil, and I'm going to decide if the added 200lbs is worth it.)
When I plug a power cord into my shorepower adapter and turn on the main switch beside the plug, the reverse oloarity light comes on , on the control panel. When I flip the main on the control panel it comes on for an instant then goes out. Like a circut breaker. Am I missing something? Or do I have a connection problem? Everything is clean and corosion free on the back of the control panel.
The wires have been capped off from the generator. Does something maybe have to be crossed there? Which ones?

With Lake Michigan still below 50 degrees, I don't think I need the AC just yet, but it would be nice to have the fridge working.
Old 05-25-2002, 10:44 PM
cast

Default WIREING

THE BOAT OR THE DOCK IS WIRED WRONG

Old 05-26-2002, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cast, I'm plugging it in in my shop. I'll try a different outlet. If that doesn't do it I'll try reversing the wires on the outlet.
I figured it was like my parentsd old motor home. In there you just had to flip a switch on the control panel to make it right. But that thing was a "77" I think.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorepower

If the reverse polarity indicator comes on the hot and neutral are reversed. A simple electrical tester will tell you which is hot. Simply test between ground and the other two contacts to determine correct wiring.
Your boat should be equipped with a two pole 30 amp breaker on the mains input. This will provide circuit protection for the hot leg if it is switched with the neutral.
Typically, on marine L-530 the largest pin is hot, the smaller is neutral and the bent pin is earth ground.
Although it should not necessarrily cause a major problem unless the ground is incorrect, correct wiring sequence should be observed when at all possible.

Also, I'm basing my comment on you using 30 amp shorepower.