Opinion needed on a 496 cam >

Opinion needed on a 496 cam

Notices

Opinion needed on a 496 cam

Old 04-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat1
Let me start by saying I shouldn't say what I'm about to say, are we clear!! Since your friend has no interest in listening to an expert he clearly is smarter than everyone. If he was spinning a mag motor 5800 WOT he was making noise not power, that cam can't support it. A hydraulic roller combo should not turn above 5400 or you risk valve float. The cam he suggests is not large enough for 5800 rpm and needs to be mechanical roller anyway for that rpm. I think what he really wants is a boat he can talk about. He should put a large duration camshaft with a 108 LSA so he has the most knarly idle in the marina, spend his money on a really cool sticker to put on the engine that says 600 HP or heck even more if he wants. The boat will likely barely come on plane and run terrible but it will sound really cool and show great when it is broke down. I'm sure he doesn't need a 3X18 oil cooler, or a quality oil pump, or upgraded fuel system either but it's a suggestion. Let me know when the maiden voyage is, I'd like to bring a cooler and a chair to watch it get on plane. Good Luck.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that's a good read!
The oil cooler comment is really funny since it has the stock little 330 cooler on it. I was able to talk him into changing that.

I'll work on getting him to call Bob again.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Let me start by saying I shouldn't say what I'm about to say, are we clear!! Since your friend has no interest in listening to an expert he clearly is smarter than everyone. If he was spinning a mag motor 5800 WOT he was making noise not power, that cam can't support it. A hydraulic roller combo should not turn above 5400 or you risk valve float. The cam he suggests is not large enough for 5800 rpm and needs to be mechanical roller anyway for that rpm. I think what he really wants is a boat he can talk about. He should put a large duration camshaft with a 108 LSA so he has the most knarly idle in the marina, spend his money on a really cool sticker to put on the engine that says 600 HP or heck even more if he wants. The boat will likely barely come on plane and run terrible but it will sound really cool and show great when it is broke down. I'm sure he doesn't need a 3X18 oil cooler, or a quality oil pump, or upgraded fuel system either but it's a suggestion. Let me know when the maiden voyage is, I'd like to bring a cooler and a chair to watch it get on plane. Good Luck.
I agree with almost everything listed here except that a hydraulic roller is only good to 5400 rpms. Now, with that said, in order to go above that number you need really good parts that are matched. RM Builder designed my entire valvetrain and most of my motor for that matter and I was told to prop my boat to run at 6100. I've had no issues with valve float. Again Bob designed the engine and only the best parts were used. It can be done and last, but your buddy is going to have to listen the the experts and be willing to spend $$$$. Also 10.25 compression is too high for an iron headed engine, 9.5 is the realistic "on the edge" limit!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, tough crowd here! You forgot to tell him to install an old school tunnel ram with dual Holley's for the ultimate visual effect. I agree with the other poster who said 10.5:1 is way high for a marine engine, unless he has an inside line on racing gas. That cam has too much overlap unless he is running headers that are dry most of the way to the transom.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

I stand corrected on my hydraulic roller rpm limit recomendation, please allow me to correct it. You should not turn a hydraulic roller combination that has been specified by the experts at Summit or Jegs racing that utilize the specified springs and have been installed in the cylinder heads carefully under the highest quality tool steel retainers, above 5400 rpm. No measurements or checks are necessary because these are proven high performance kits that guarantee amazing performance with the value and convenience of kit pricing. They are flying off the shelf but if you hurry they have one kit left. Glad to hear he is willing to upsize the oil cooler, he probably found a great used 8" long one from a 502 MPI that blew up to use. Good luck, can't wait to hear the speed increase reports.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

We are beating this guy up pretty bad and he is not even here to defent himself. Have your friend register on the forum, that would be more intertaining. Actually I hate to have somone repeat history and waste a bunch of time and money. I broke a lot of parts before I figured out what I was doing wrong. There is so much more to it than throwing in a cam kit.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
We are beating this guy up pretty bad and he is not even here to defent himself. Have your friend register on the forum, that would be more intertaining. Actually I hate to have somone repeat history and waste a bunch of time and money. I broke a lot of parts before I figured out what I was doing wrong. There is so much more to it than throwing in a cam kit.
Exactly. I'm being funny but his wallet won't think it's funny at all. I don't think it's funny either, just for the record.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

I gave him Bob's number tonight. I may have gotten his attention.
Actually I tried Bob today to order a set of cams for my motors and couldn't get through, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I would list my motors for opinions but I'd hate to get beat up on here
Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

You wont get beat up if you are willing to listen. I was joking about him not listening to people that are clearly in the know. I'm no expert by any means, but I know a lil bit. I also know when to ask for help. No matter what your building someone has done it, blown it up, and done again until they got it right. There is no need to re-invent the marine engine at these power levels. Good Luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Feel free to list your engines. I got a lot of grief because I was building a short stroke BBC last summer. With the help of Bob M, I ended up with a 439 C.I. BBC that will hold its own against any HP500. There is always more than one way to do things but the key is to do it right and talk to the RIGHT people. Bob Mandera is one of those people we should be thankful is available to help us. My Formula 242 is a heavy boat and needs big power to go fast. I finally got mine out and with an exhaust swap and a different prop I was able to pick up 7 MPH for a total of 69 MPH over my best of last year. Most guys with formula 242's are building 540's to get that speed. My point here is that it's not all about Cubic Inches and Torque as most will lead you to believe. Its about correctly matching the parts to your goals and your boat. A smaller engine can make big power and torque if designed and built correctly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.