Alternator wiring hookup

Notices

Alternator wiring hookup

Old 05-27-2002, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator wiring hookup

Need some help here.

Took off the wiring on my Mando alternator, yes did tag it, but wiring just does not look correct. Can somebody tell me where and how the 4 wires go. I looked at a MerCruiser wiring diagram and understand it, but my alternator was replaced and the new one was different from the original factory. The new one was a new number from Mercruiser so it is the correct one. Engine was a 454mag...
THanks
Sheikman
Old 05-27-2002, 10:11 AM
Registered

Sheikman what are you having trouble with the Excitation wire and the Sensing wire, James

Last edited by FloridianSon; 05-28-2002 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:17 PM
Registered

Default alternator wiring

the larger gage wires are the chargeing cables, orange for pos and black for ground. The orange cable goes to the stud with the insulator on it. The black goes to a stud through the chassis that sometimes has the small black wire from the raised section(regulator). One smaller gage wires is red/purple for sense(turns output on and off depending on the battery charge state). The red/purple originates on the circuit breaker and feeds the positive for the dash back. The other smaller wire is the purple wire that is on the key on circuit. This powers the regulator on with engine on. On the mercury harness these smaller two wires use shrunk wraped bullet connectors. I assume you are refering to the other alternator's smaller wires using studs and not having the wires hanging out. When the old alternator was installed they might of left the bullet connectors and added ring connectors. If you have shring wrap insulation up about 4 inches, cut it off and you should be able to plug the new altenator sense and power in there. If they cut the wires's female bullet connectors off you will need to replace them on the harness small gage red/purple and purple wire.

Last edited by formula233; 05-27-2002 at 06:20 PM.