Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Any good mefi tuners around LOTO? >

Any good mefi tuners around LOTO?

Notices

Any good mefi tuners around LOTO?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good mefi tuners around LOTO?

Guys, need a good tune on procharged efi 454's. I am at Lake of the Ozarks and was looking for someone who would come to me or within 100 to 150 miles. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

Do you have an O2 sensor bung in the exhaust riser, and what brand exhaust? Is the engine stock or a custom build, how many hours? Did you just bolt on the Procharger kit or has it been installed by a shop? Are you using the boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and following the guidelines of Procharger? Is it intercooled and does the intercooler feed from engine water? Is there water pressure, fuel pressure, and oil temp guages on the engine? Is the oil cooler stock? What fuel pump are you using, what size are the fuel lines, is there a return line and where does it return the fuel? Did you remove the thermostat? Guess I have a few questions before the computer gets tuned, I do have the ability to tune the computer, unfortunately that also means I have the ability to blow up an improperly installed engine package. LOL
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

I bought this boat with the motors already built. The motors were built by Gruningers marine in Pontoon Beach, IL. They have intercooled Prochargers and were built from 1998 454 mpi's. I have build and dyno sheets. It looks like they put all the right stuff internally for boost. It has imco exhaust, aeromotive fuel system and crossovers. It has fuel and oil pressure guages and stock oil cooler. They run good but at idle it loads up really bad and sometimes the starboard engine will die at idle. Do you think you can help? I think I answered most of your questions. Thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

Do the exhaust risers have a O2 sensor bung. Do you have the camshaft details and preferably a build sheet on the engine. Have these been run with the Procharger installed and for how long? Is the idle your only concern? How much boost does the system make if you have run them? Typically Grunniger used Mark Boos @ Precision Marine, 504-469-7463, for the ECM mods. You could contact him and he may have a record of the engine details also.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Drag it to Mark and spend a day with him ... it will be well worth your time and $$
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Neil, welcome to the forum. I see you are just a few miles from me. Do you boat at LOTO or local? Procharger leads you to believe you can just bolt it on and go but thats not the case. I have O2 bungs in my risers and I tune mine on the fly, I have a aftermarket Holley MPI kit.

One more thing, I would upgrade your oiling system, bigger cooler, bigger lines, better fittings, bigger filters. Stop by my house some time and I will show you how I did mine, I live between Millstadt and Columbia. Send me a PM with your email or phone number.

Last edited by jeffswav; 04-27-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

The reason I asked the questions I did was to get a feel for the application. Since the engine was built and likely tuned by professionals, I almost have to assume the idle problems are a sign that something has changed in the engine. I doubt that the engine left the dyno or was installed in the boat with an idle that loaded up. Procharger makes a living telling people they can bolt there stuff on and run. In reality the fuel system needs complete upgrade, the injector rail needs to be inspected and likely modified, I prefer to install injectors sized for the HP made, rather than raising fuel pressure, the oil cooler should be sized for the HP made, the two peice exhaust valves should be changed out for Inconel, and the head gaskets should be Cometic. I also feed the intercooler with it's own pick-up, not engine water. I feel the boat should have oil temperature and engine water pressure guages permanently installed, I have a temporary water pressure guage I install to read the intercooler pressure. The exhaust riser must have a O2 sensor bung for anyone to tune the engine. I work with Mark Boos on many occasions, I mention him because he is very knowledgable and supports his programs. It makes more sense for me to assist Mark with current information. If he is confident the original program was correct, I suspect this is a sign that there is some other problem, not the tune. Please go back and read my questions and answer all of them that you can. Procharger is a good product and will make good power, it's just not a bolt on with MPI applications. I want to help you as you requested, but I suspect there may be more involved than tuning.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 PM
VIP Member

+ 1 for Mark at Precision.

Well worth the time, effort and expense.

He is the best !!!!!

www.pmefi.com

Last edited by Smitty; 04-27-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Registered

I went through my paper work and it was Precision who originally recalibrated the ECM's. It does'nt have sensor bungs in the exhaust so I'm not sure how they tuned it. I was also thinking the stock MPI manifolds and injectors are my problem. The injectors were sent out and calibrated. The original owner said the engine always idled rich. I'm going to call Mark and see if has records of the tune. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks for your time.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by Neil 310 Viper
I went through my paper work and it was Precision who originally recalibrated the ECM's. It does'nt have sensor bungs in the exhaust so I'm not sure how they tuned it. I was also thinking the stock MPI manifolds and injectors are my problem. The injectors were sent out and calibrated. The original owner said the engine always idled rich. I'm going to call Mark and see if has records of the tune. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks for your time.
Could also be that you are not running thermostats in the engine which in return would make the ecm think the engine is still cold and is still in warm up mode..that option can be turned off by programming..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.