STEREO Advice >

STEREO Advice

Notices

STEREO Advice

Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
One of my favorite old school rap bass demo songs is "Drop that bass" from DJ Magic Mike. That song will shake the he!! out of everything around you!
LMFAO, I still have that one on my IPOD, havent played it in years though.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out JL's website, their tutorial section is pretty informative on ported vs. sealed enclosures, box building and sizing, and have recommended power and enclosure size for all their products.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

running 6 kickers comp vr the old style with 2 hifonics 2000 watts per 3 speakers and running 4 6x9 boston acoustics with hifonic 1600 watts you cant imagine how much bass this boat has is to be heard!!!!!! ask stinky feet from Cars and Toys from havasu!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

You may also consider building a band pass box under the seat, no sub sticking out and they give great DB gains and super low freq response when built right.

For durability I love kicker solobaric subs, with that mono amp running a DVC solobaric you will have more bass than you ever need.

Here is an example running a band pass with a push pull setup. If you do this do some research. I love band pass set ups on a boat, they work well compensating for our wide open air.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
When you put two subs side by side you get a 6 db increase in sound which is equal to doubling the watts. If you port the boxes you will get a 3 dB increase at the tuned frequency which is usually around 45 Hz but loose below the tuned frequency. I agree with Steve and call JL and see what they suggest. At 1.25 cubic inches you should have plenty of space to build a ported box which will give you more BOOM, for some old school NWA CD's...... Steve you can hear bass down to 20 Hz, below that you can only feel it, but it taks insane power and great subs to hit that low, most bass from rock is in the 40Hz + range, Rap bass is synthisized and can go very, very low. One of my favorite old school rap bass demo songs is "Drop that bass" from DJ Magic Mike. That song will shake the he!! out of everything around you!
I remember The demo song "drop that bass"!! That was the bomb back then, lol.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered

what material are you guys building marine boxes with? Mdf will fall apart quickly and I dont know what to use
Old 04-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use MDF, just give it a skim coat of fiberglass, inside and out!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
what material are you guys building marine boxes with? Mdf will fall apart quickly and I dont know what to use
dryloc painted mdf, 8 years running on my friends boat
Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,481 Likes on 802 Posts

I had to build new seat bases to work with my new seats so I just built them out of AC 3/4 and am rapping them with a couple of layers of chopped and some 1708 on the bottoms and up the sides a few inches. Also went a little heavier on the top sides for seat drainage. Not doing anything on the inside figuring if some moisture does get inside they would still be able to breath a little. The boat will be in storage more than on the water unfortunately. I just need to put a divided in them to achieve the right volume for the subs.

Last edited by getrdunn; 04-29-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Here are the specs for your subs. I think your stuck with a sealed box. Ported they need 2.25 cubic inches, each.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/8-12W6_BDS.pdf

In regards to your amp from the specs I'm finding its a Class D amp. So it is rated at the same power with a 1.5 ohm load or a 4 ohm load. So you can run a single or a dual VC speaker for your third sub!