Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HP500 Buildup questions >

HP500 Buildup questions

Notices

HP500 Buildup questions

Old 05-03-2011, 04:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you havn't bought pistons rods etc yet, I would definately stroke it to 540+ !!!! It would be cheaper than exhaust manifolds and Im sure you will get your 650hp mark fully dressed maybe with the same exhaust and some afrs, rm builder cam etc to suit !!!! Cost of the build now to do it would be price of crank and block clearancing soon you are replacing everything else already......plus its alot easier & cheaper later to add an exhaust than to stroke it later would be out of the question !!!!! My 2cents on exhaust KE heard very good inc reliabilty or even Imco powerflow PLUS series alot cheaper and also excellent reliability.

I run 509's 5800rpm, 580hp with imco powerflow exhaust (similar to your gils NOT the Imco PLUS series) RM Builder cam, afrs, and holley 800's. Im sure I could pick up maybe 20-30hp with 850's and decent exhaust but getting extra 70hp to reach your 650 figure would be a real push !!!!! I wanted to stroke mine but im sure my speedmaster 2's wouldnt of agreed !!!!

Call RM builder as he has done alot of Cams for Similar 502,540's etc with AFRs. I would trust his advice 100% and definately use his Cam choice which ever setup you decide on.

Last edited by Dan74; 05-03-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, I'm debating blowers vs stroking right now. Considering durability and the fact that we've overheated in the past, we want to stick with iron heads.