Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Low oil psi 454 500HP >

Low oil psi 454 500HP

Notices

Low oil psi 454 500HP

Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll cut the filter open but I took belly pan off last night to put in new oil pump and I didn't see any steel.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered

No metal in the pan is a good sign. What oil are you running?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

40 weight, when i took of intake manifold i notieced a loose push rod, could loose push rods be messing up oil pressure?

I was able to get the valve cover off with exhasue manifold still on so i am going to start the motor and adjust valves while running, the zero lash and half turn must have not done it properly, plus a lifter could have collapsed
Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A loose pushrod wouldn't do it. Readjusting them isn't going to make a difference either.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pantera232
Yes mechanical and electric are both the same, i read about the ones under cam sprocket today and intake that is our next step.. Appreciate all the help guys...
The motor is a generation 6 with morel lifters and new pushrods.

The motor has only ran on a trailer 4 times now for 5 min sessions mainly cheacking this issure.
The boat is not in the water so there cant me cavitations issues, motor is basically level
The original oil pump was damn near laying on the bottom of pan, we riased it up a **** hair (3/8) lol and re shaped pan a bit..Again original pump ran like a bat out of hell before rebuild.
We checked main tolerances when installing but they were fine before we rebuilt anyway. Motor only cam out to get new head and cam , but then said **** it and bored it .030 and through domed pistons in it with cometic gaskets .027 I think to got 9.3:1 compression. Has new timing chains thats why i cant see it missing oil galley plugs but well see, any one have pics of these plugs???????????/? thanks Adam
What exactly do you mean by "raised it up a bit"? The Pick-up should be approx 3/8" off the bottom of the pan and should be perfectly square with the bottom as well.

"reshaped the Pan a bit"??????

How much oil do you have in it? Too much oil can make it have low Oil Pressure as well as not having enough
Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You stated this was originally a 330. Was there such a thing as a 330 gen 6? Is this carb or fuel injection? Also see you have 781 heads which are mark lV heads.

Eliminator28, you stated that too much oil can make it have low oil pressure. Can you elaborate on this.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
You stated this was originally a 330. Was there such a thing as a 330 gen 6? Is this carb or fuel injection? Also see you have 781 heads which are mark lV heads.

Eliminator28, you stated that too much oil can make it have low oil pressure. Can you elaborate on this.
The crank will hit the oil if the level it too high and can create air voids in the pan for the pump to suck up. This would be erratic OP though not consistently low. Unless done enough to take out the mains, then consistently low.

I've never had it happen to me, but I think a bad lifter could create a major internal oil leak.

Last edited by blue thunder; 05-03-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw this, sorry I cant be of much help when it comes to BB stuff, especially oil pressure issues. I agree though to check the pickup height, and reshaping of the pan?? When you say 40 weight, is it straight 40, or like a 15w40 rotella?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by picklenjim

Like Blue Thunder said.. With the oil level too high the crank counterweights hitting the oil will airate it, making OP eratic.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered

IMHO, I would take a few steps back at this point and go back to triple checking bearing clearances on the mains and rods. You are looking for a simple smoking gun and not finding it. I know you want to be in the water tomorrow, but it will be easier to find the problem by checking all the what if's now rather than blowing it up later. Just my .02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.