Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Saginaw P/S pump GPM Flow rating? >

Saginaw P/S pump GPM Flow rating?

Notices

Saginaw P/S pump GPM Flow rating?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saginaw P/S pump GPM Flow rating?

Anyone know what the flow rating is on the stock P/S pump from a Gen VI 454? Im pretty sure most of the ones merc uses are saginaw pumps.. PLease correct me if im wrong and if anyone knows the gpm, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,188 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by SickSation
Anyone know what the flow rating is on the stock P/S pump from a Gen VI 454? Im pretty sure most of the ones merc uses are saginaw pumps.. PLease correct me if im wrong and if anyone knows the gpm, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Saginaw "P" style pump

The "P" style saginaw pump is like that which is found in a HUGE number of oem cars and trucks. Very often it has an attached, integral fluid reservoir, and is called the "can-o-ham" pump because the teardrop shaped reservoir is reminiscent of the shape of an old-fashioned canned ham. There are also variants that have a more circular or round shaped integral reservoir, along with a secondary remote reservoir - most notably pumps for vehicles such as 1 ton 4x4's and diesel trucks that use hydro-boost brakes. Depending on the exact model of the pump, "P" style saginaw pumps are rated for anything from 2.4 to 3.5 gallons per minute (gpm) flow and 1100-1450 psi pressure. The importance of flow and pressure ratings will become evident later on in the "system design" section.

A must read if you are learning hydraulic steering.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ng/index2.html
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rookie
Saginaw "P" style pump

The "P" style saginaw pump is like that which is found in a HUGE number of oem cars and trucks. Very often it has an attached, integral fluid reservoir, and is called the "can-o-ham" pump because the teardrop shaped reservoir is reminiscent of the shape of an old-fashioned canned ham. There are also variants that have a more circular or round shaped integral reservoir, along with a secondary remote reservoir - most notably pumps for vehicles such as 1 ton 4x4's and diesel trucks that use hydro-boost brakes. Depending on the exact model of the pump, "P" style saginaw pumps are rated for anything from 2.4 to 3.5 gallons per minute (gpm) flow and 1100-1450 psi pressure. The importance of flow and pressure ratings will become evident later on in the "system design" section.

A must read if you are learning hydraulic steering.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ng/index2.html
Very helpful. Thank you.