Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Distributor Gear Failure on 454 Mag EFI (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/25280-distributor-gear-failure-454-mag-efi.html)

veloc410 10-04-2017 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by veloc410 (Post 4586200)
Gear is on distributor shaft and camshaft. Camshaft gear may be damaged also. Which means pull the can. You can see if can gear is damaged by looking down thru distributor hole and rotate engine to see th whole gear all the way around it. Something happened don't take anything for granted.

big block is about 800 -900 lbs assembled

caldera 10-04-2017 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by veloc410 (Post 4586200)
Gear is on distributor shaft and camshaft. Camshaft gear may be damaged also. Which means pull the can. You can see if can gear is damaged by looking down thru distributor hole and rotate engine to see th whole gear all the way around it. Something happened don't take anything for granted.

Distributor is like brand new. Nothing happened with it while engine doesn't spins it.

I will go in marina later today to do some electrical work and try take some pictures.

Im not mechanic but fixed almost dead engine on my second boat which works perfect now.

veloc410 10-04-2017 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by caldera (Post 4586204)
Distributor is like brand new. Nothing happened with it while engine doesn't spins it.

I will go in marina later today to do some electrical work and try take some pictures.

Im not mechanic but fixed almost dead engine on my second boat which works perfect now.

👍just keep in mind those pieces can cause catastrophic failure. You have to take the oil pan off . And don't flip the motor when you do it .all the pieces will fall towards the top. The new melonized gears come with extra material on them and will most likely be tight against the distributor housing. The gear needs to have about .010 play between it and the small wear plate at bottom of housing. You can do this at home , it takes a little time and finesse but not hard to do. Also there are 2 different diameters you can get. I think it's. 491 and .500

caldera 10-04-2017 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by veloc410 (Post 4586208)
👍just keep in mind those pieces can cause catastrophic failure. You have to take the oil pan off . And don't flip the motor when you do it .all the pieces will fall towards the top. The new melonized gears come with extra material on them and will most likely be tight against the distributor housing. The gear needs to have about .010 play between it and the small wear plate at bottom of housing. You can do this at home , it takes a little time and finesse but not hard to do. Also there are 2 different diameters you can get. I think it's. 491 and .500

Take oil pan off on the place? Im not sure if its possible but i try to do. At least i will know if there is any broken pc of gear.

SB 10-04-2017 06:02 PM

There where some Crane hydraulic roller cams dozen years ago or so that weren't heat treated correctly and the cam broke right before the cam gear section. So, everything spun but distributor.

veloc410 10-04-2017 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by caldera (Post 4586210)
Take oil pan off on the place? Im not sure if its possible but i try to do. At least i will know if there is any broken pc of gear.

while on engine stand take pan off without flipping engine over. You going to have pull engine

veloc410 10-04-2017 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=SB;4586211]There where some Crane hydraulic roller cams dozen years ago or so that weren't heat treated correctly and the cam broke right before the cam gear section. So, everything spun but distributor.[/QUO
he said distributor gear was gone? Sounds like it broke in half and went somewhere unless just the teeth broke off

veloc410 10-04-2017 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by caldera (Post 4586204)

so is distributor gear ok??

caldera 10-04-2017 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by veloc410 (Post 4586221)
so is distributor gear ok??

Yes without scratches but im going to check everything double before start remival etc..

veloc410 10-04-2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by caldera (Post 4586222)
Yes without scratches but im going to check everything double before start remival etc..

oh. All intact. Gear still on distributor shaft. Maybe just a broken split pin on the gear. It's a shear pin goes thru the shaft and gear