Notices

Muffler removal help, and NEWBIE to site

Old 05-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler removal help, and NEWBIE to site

hello all!

I've been a registered member for a little while, I just upgraded my membership due to the knowledge I've already gained by lurking.

Can someone help me with the removal of the what I think a factory installed muffler on my 275?

the boat has a 496 w/ captain. I'd like a bit more sound, and before I start playing with prop combo's I'd like to get this taken care of. the boat currently has a 23P mercury and runs on the fake speedo 66mph.......

Can someone help or give advice as to what I should do?

There are 3-bolts on the inside of the boat that I assume hold this muffler in place. but what do I need to replace or should I do it?

Thanks!

Marcus
Attached Thumbnails Muffler removal help, and NEWBIE to site-starboard-side.jpg   Muffler removal help, and NEWBIE to site-imag0355.jpg-small.jpg   Muffler removal help, and NEWBIE to site-imag0356.jpg-small.jpg  

Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM
jln
Registered

i had those same corsa tips on my last boat , and swapped them out out with new tips from Eddie marine . the bolt holes lined up perfectly. maybe i was just lucky . but reuse the rubber gasket or replace it and just reattach the new tips with new ss nuts and bolts and re caulk the holes with lifeseal or 4200. and check your transom cutout holes for any unsealed area. hopefully your holes line up if not you have to fill and redrill. Im going threw that now with my new boat , the holes dont line up , but if those are corsa tips the eddie tips did line up for me hopefully you have the same result. but either way its a fairly easy job and yes the sound is worth it . good luck
Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what bull350 is referring to in his picture are the 4 bolts under the rubber flapper in the opening of the tip. If this is the case, I don't know if removing these will allow him to remove the internal muffler from the tips - it was my understanding that these are tack welded in. Yes, he can have them hollowed out by cutting the welds - I think several on this forum have done that. Or he can install non-muffled tips. Best to check local noise ordinances first to avoid an expensive ticket - not sure what the laws are like in your neck of the woods.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Budman II: sorry, i should have been more clear. I was just taking the pic for all to see. There are 3-nuts inside the engine bay to remove.

jln: thanks! do you remember what tips you bought? are all eddie's the same? Do i need to worry about length?
-did you run the external flapper? or can you re-use the existing?

I might order some and play this weekend!

Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM
jln
Registered

they were the tips they sell with the metal flapper with the rubber on the edge of the internal flapper. they were about four inches and straight cut but either cut slash or straight should be the same . i even bought the new bolts from them and a new gasket . hopefully your holes line up . those tips in your pics are the same corsa tips i had so again hopefully everything lines up and its real easy for you. i just bought them last summer so its there current tips.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 PM
jln
Registered

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...l&p=11418&c=61 these were the tips i used. the only thing about any of the metal flaps is a slight sound at idle. at slightly above idle the sound goes away. its no big deal very minor but just wanted to make you aware of it. i also reused the rubber salsbury flapper for extra protection
Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered
Gold Member

see, i think I will be ok with the straight cut ends. I should be able to clock them to match the bolt holes in my hull. If you notice i have one bolt directly at the TOP of my transom, any of the slash cuts have the single bolt hole directly at the BOTTOM, which would cause a problem.....

one last thing, my factory tips on corsa show a 5" bell, is that just the bell and I have a 4" boot inside?

thanks again! I appreciate the help, online forums are great!

marc
Attached Thumbnails Muffler removal help, and NEWBIE to site-motor.jpg  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 AM
jln
Registered

with the internal flapper , or any flap inside the tip has to be upright for the flapper to work. i see your pic and im not certain it will line up. you can go with no internal flapper and just external rubber boots. but it is really not to big of a project to just fill the old holes with marine tex and just seal the ends with 3m 5200 and just make new holes if it wont line up. good luck.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered
Gold Member

ahhh yess. forgot about the flapper!

got them on order from eddie! thanks again!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 AM
jln
Registered

it will be worth it, if things dont line up just research, filling holes in fiberglass and research sealents so you use the correct stuff. have fun