boosted tuneups >

boosted tuneups

Notices

boosted tuneups

Old 05-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosted tuneups

What are you guys running for engine configs and tune ups?
boost, timing, afr, egts, etc.. I am curious what is required to make a marine combination live with power. It goes without saying(but I will) that rpm and detonation kill parts.
I have a turbo mustang street car, so I am familiar with the automotive aspect of a tune.. BUT its a drag car, and it's all over in 9seconds.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Best bet is to search using whipple or prochaRGER IN YOUR search. Millions of post on it.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Build your motor 8-1 to 8.5-1 if you want to run alot of boost, with a innercooled centrifugal super charger like a procharger you can easily run 13-14 psi boost on premium. I turn mine 6000 rpm's, tune for 11.5-1 afr or close under boost, timing will depend on your heads but usually around 32 dgrees total, mine goes to about 35-36 but pulls back under 30 under hard boost with the efi system. As far as egt's, I had them but they read sky high and didn't mean anything. As far as detonation, I am real careful not to let this ethanol crap azz gas get too old and haven't detonated a motor apart yet, a knock sensor is your friend, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 05-05-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:12 AM
Registered

That sure is alot of timing under boost, especially being efi! Have you read your plugs? Knock sensors do lie sometimes.. I dont have the balls to run that much timing but if its workn for you, then rock on brotha! That some***** must be flyn!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SINGLETGT
That sure is alot of timing under boost, especially being efi! Have you read your plugs? Knock sensors do lie sometimes.. I dont have the balls to run that much timing but if its workn for you, then rock on brotha! That some***** must be flyn!
I will clarify, in the timing tables it goes as high as 35-36 under lower map settings (which it rarely reaches) but as I said it goes under 30 under hard boost, programable efi is a great thing! As far as reading the plugs, I hardly look at them anymore but the motor has 80 hours on it since I tuned it last, it made 1115hp on Crocketts dyno at 5900 rpm's, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 05-05-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered

Now that sounds good! what's the engine combination?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

540 ,big m short deck block, 4340 howards crank and billet rods, 14 qt offshore pan, afr 315 cnc heads w/additional porting, j/e blower pistons, procharger m-3sc turning a little past its rpm limit, custom ground hyd roller cam from RMBUILDER, morel lifters, t/d shaft rockers, everything studded, a exstensively ported 502 mpi intake,502 mpi throttle body that was bored out, custom twin fuel rails, mefi4 ecu's. I tuned it both blown and N/A, it made around 650 hp N/A, 1050hp on 92 octane and 1115 on 80% pump gas/20% race gas. I can run my boat N/A or blown by simply switching the ecu, removing or installing the blower belt and attaching/or removing the piping from innercooler to throttle body.
Boat runs mid 70's n/a and will touch 99-100 mph blown, it ran 62 mph with stock 502 mpi under best conditions to put it in perspective, Smitty
Also,it was dynoed at the more generous 60 degree factor and was not turing any accessories so keep that in mind, numbers would be 7% lower at higher 77 degree sae factor and probably a little lower yet turning accessories although I only turn a raw water pump, alt and power steering pump, no engine water pump . It WAS dynoed however,with water cooled cmi headers, not race car or dyno headers,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 05-06-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

nice power plant!! ever thought of going over to the dark side? You konw why blowers whine right? Because they know turbo's are better! lol jk You would def make more power with the same boost.

Killer setup, me likey!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered

Turbos are just starting to find a home on marine engines because of the excessive heat they generate. The engine compartment on a boat is enclosed fiberglass so a turbo must be watercooled, not cheap.

Turbos are becoming more common, but they will not surpass superchargers for many years
Old 05-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

And until turbos become a little more bolt on and affordable in marine land I think there is going to be a big increase in centrifigul builds. They are essentially belt driven turbos and will make more power then any other sc out there. As far as timing SINGLETGT, controlling detonation by running excessively retarded timing is fine at the track but if you hold it wide open for 10 minutes like that in a boat you'll likely burn the exhaust valves right out of it.. The last set of blow thru 555's I did made 1300 on 92 octane with 31 deg total, procharger M4. I sold Dennis r a carb off a 1200hp deal that we converted to EFI and he made over 1400hp with it on his package. I think EFI has a ton of advantages over blow thru carbs but it sure is cheap and easy to make stupid power..

Procharger Nation! lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.