Big Block Oiling Question / by-pass valves >

Big Block Oiling Question / by-pass valves

Notices

Big Block Oiling Question / by-pass valves

Old 05-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Block Oiling Question / by-pass valves

I just put in a new 540 cube big block to replace one of a pair that was blown. I bought a new block w/o any plugs or bypass valves installed. After assembly, and install, I noticed on another engine that there are two by-pass valves. One under the filter, and one up under the threaded nipple for the filter. That's when the panic set in. I did not install that bypass valve under the nipple, only the one in the filter area. I have oil pressure on the gauge. Do I need to pull the engine and install the second bypass ?????
I have been told that this second bypass is only for truck type oil coolers. Which is correct ?????
Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by doctor_ratz
I just put in a new 540 cube big block to replace one of a pair that was blown. I bought a new block w/o any plugs or bypass valves installed. After assembly, and install, I noticed on another engine that there are two by-pass valves. One under the filter, and one up under the threaded nipple for the filter. That's when the panic set in. I did not install that bypass valve under the nipple, only the one in the filter area. I have oil pressure on the gauge. Do I need to pull the engine and install the second bypass ?????
I have been told that this second bypass is only for truck type oil coolers. Which is correct ?????
I'm not running any in my 496's. I know things have changed over the years however I never recall ever seeing any there. Will be interesting to see what others have or are doing. If you don't get a response do a quick google search. I can't understand why there would be two. What kind of block is it?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should block off the one under the filter housing so all the oil goes thru the filter and cooler
Old 05-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dennis r
you should block off the one under the filter housing so all the oil goes thru the filter and cooler
Seems like a nickel works perfect for that if I remember right.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Sure if it is worth 5 cents to you me I would tap it to 3/8 and plug it
Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

These are 502 genVI blocks.
I just checked the damaged block and it does not have the second bypass valve under the nipple.
The reason you should not completely plug the bypass under the filter is for possible oil stavation if your cooler or filter get plugged. There is a 30 PSI bypass available from GM performance to replace the standard 15 psi automotive unit. I am an old drag racer and have had trouble in the past losing oil pressure with a blocked bypass on small blocks.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

Did a search, and you guys were right. Seems like the correct answer is no by pass in the nipple, and plug the one on the oil filter pad. If I can do it in the boat, that is what I am going to do, other wise it will have to wait till winter.
Thanks guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea, remove the center valve and plug or install a 30psi vave in the one on the side.

Last edited by jeffswav; 05-06-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

I am only slightly familier with this issue, but the question in my mind is: if the valves are incorrect, can this be fixed without removing the engine ?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
Sure if it is worth 5 cents to you me I would tap it to 3/8 and plug it
I had to look twice and chuckle a bit when I saw a reputable speed shop doing it downstate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.